in the run

• 6 Replies

fastmonkey85

in the run
« on: February 06, 2010, 17:45 »
Evening all

At the moment I have been putting straw in their run because I can get it in large quanities from my farm. But after a couple of days it has turned to a bog and I have to add another layer of straw.

Is there anything else that I can use. I have seen on here a number of times the use of wood chippings, but how do these stay fresh for a long period of time or do you keep adding a layer like I do with the straw?

Many thanks

Alex

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
Re: in the run
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 18:30 »
Hello fastmonkey, I use woodchip and no, it doesn't stay immaculate, but I freshen it twice a week with Bio Dry and turn it evry other day, It has gone quite dark now but it isn't boggy and is quite firm to walk on. Not too bad to poo pick either. Mine has been down for two and a half months with a little fresh added, but once the weather improves I will strip it all out and replace it. I checked at my local tip today and they are quite happy for me to put it into the garden recycling.

lisa80

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 18:48 »
we use straw too  and rake it up every couple of weeks and put  it on our allotment  :)its cheap so works out best for us.we tried bark but it just sunk into the mud the amount we needed to cover the pen floor would have cost us a bomb

karlooben

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 18:53 »
wood chips or bark { some ppl call it ethier chips or bark } from a tree surgeon is ideal and it doesnt cost the earth i would recommend u use that instead of straw, my bark has gone dark an yukky but most of the run is ok but i have one area that wont dry so its getting very boggy but until the weather picks up i wont be refreshing mine .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 18:54 »
wood chips dont seem to get as bad as straw,(try the local tree surgeons from yellow pages and it probally free) so worth a go! Bonniebean rather than taking it to tip, i think any keen gardener or plot holder would be very happy to get it for compost heap. Try listing it on freecycle, i'm sure you will get shut in a greenway!! :D :D

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 22:12 »
Good idea Sutty, I'll try that!

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 23:05 »
I am really sorry to sound  like a spoilsport, but BARK can be a disaster for chickens. When it gets wet, it can grow a sort of mould that causes asperghilosis (sp), an often fatal respiratory disorder. Straw is best, so long as you rake it up often enough, and the girls just love it. Wood chips/shavings are great, but must not be hardwood (yes, chookies got splinters and bumblefoot), and must not be from chemically treated timber. So many potential probs, but hey ho. ::)

PS. we all look after our chickens differently, and all chickens are themselves individuals, but when asked, i like to share my own experience, hoping that by doing so, itll save you from the same hard lessons some of us have learnt from. :( 
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 35 queries.