Aaaaargh, I've made a raised bed...

• 7 Replies

Growster...

Aaaaargh, I've made a raised bed...
« on: March 13, 2020, 06:30 »
As chums here know full well, Growsters have never done any gardening which included a raised bed. First, there was no need, as with over fifty 8' x 4' beds and grass paths, the rotation cycle was easy to understand, and because 'The Patch' (now gone, sob), was on a slope, the drainage was pretty good and the soil was in good heart! Also, the wood for said beds would have cost far too much!

But after some careful consideration, calculations based on systems derived from Cape Canaveral, The High Committee of Chelsea Flower Show, Mrs Growster, all my friends in the world, Mrs Growster again, JRT, and many others, I've just finished making a - a - a - 'raised bed'...!

It had to be done, I don't regret it, it was a wrench from pre-conceived ideals and I worried long and hard about the implications of Brexit, the neighbours, people going to church who can just peer over the wall and sneer/enjoy/laugh, but the necessity was paramount as I needed the space, and the only place was in the corner of the garden, where the ground is so uneven, it was originally the natural place for a compost heap, and all sorts of rubbish, hardcore etc. That had to go, as it was just a mess, so the alternative was to worry less about the heap, and concentrate on another growing space...

When I've recovered from the self-sacrificial trauma, I may manage to post a photograph, but the mental scars are still raw and are inhibiting my usual positive demeanour!

I'm sorry to have to come clean on this, but it's an admission that has to be put to the electorate...(WHAAAAAT)?

:0)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Aaaaargh, I've made a raised bed...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 08:02 »
You have joined your fellow brothers & sisters in the ways of the righteous. Feel no shame, for the work you do is good. Heed not those who would pour scorn upon you, for they to will come to see that your path is the true one and lo, they shall soon build a raised bed of their own.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 11:43 »
Never mind 'photos Growster, a complete film of your efforts would probably be a box-office hit. Oh, you do make me laugh for which I thank you.     Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 11:57 »
Oh dear Growster!
You do realise that the next step is to make the new raised bed into a 'no-dig' one, a la you -know-who
It's a very slippery slope you've started on, you know... be careful, be VERY careful  :ohmy:  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 14:47 »
It really is confession time...(sob)...

I tried, oh, how I tried, to level the whole area, and just say *** this for a game of soldiers, but after clearing the laurel, the holly, and most of the detritus of a 'chuck area' which started in 1989, the bullet needed to be bitten - as did my tongue when I was attacked by the nasties lurking beneath the surface!!

It pains me so much that I had to resort to all this, and I must beg forgiveness, and hope that you'll understand!

I still have lots of the old hardcore to sell on the black market (give away), and the laurel and the holly will need to be re-tamed when it gets going, but, it, well, it all makes me feel so humble, I think I might just enter a darkened room and self-insulate with a tincture... (yippee)!

So, I'd like to thank you all for your kindness and comment, I'd like to thank my parents, my friends in the village, Miss Chevrolet at No 15, Mrs Growster (again), all the people at Waitrose for not chucking me out when I bought two loo rolls, and everyone else who knows me...
DSCN9083.JPG
DSCN9087.JPG

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 14:55 »
Mystic  P1P predicts: Growster The No-dig Fanatic by February 2022.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 15:43 »
Growster in your academy award speech, you must also remember your ambition is to save all the worlds animals and children.     :D    Oh, thanks for the "stills" I think it looks perfect and a lot of hard work.  Mrs B

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 17:47 »
P1P and Mrs B - thank you - you have made a humble old man very happy..:0)

P1P- no I won't...
Mrs B - yes I will...

Actually, it's almost pure compost in there, and as it really isn't an easy shape, I'll probably grow some French Beans and courgettes, just to keep formalities with our Channel neighbours happy!

Anything for some 'Entente Cordiale' as they say in camping circles...

xx
This has made me so sad today.

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post December 13, 2018, 15:04
by Aidy
xx
I've made a decision

Started by jmc1949 on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post March 26, 2020, 15:38
by mrs bouquet
xx
The stuff that dreams are made of ...

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post March 20, 2018, 08:21
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 47 queries.