My little hen died!!! Why?????

• 25 Replies

redmolly

• Experienced Member
My little hen died!!! Why?????
« on: April 29, 2010, 18:34 »
Guys, I am absolutely devastated!! Can't believe how much I've cried!! I just wish I knew why????
She was 8 months old, Welsummer x, happy, very cheeky naughty little hen!! The one that was the source of much chaos and we were very very fond of her!!

Do they do this??? Just suddenly die??

I can't believe it. Everyone else also looks healthy and happy. She wasn't in the nest box - so wasn't trying to lay or anything!!

:( :( :(

Ribbit

Re: My little hen died!!! Why?????
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 18:36 »
I'm very sorry for your loss :'( Chickens can also have heart attacks like humans which could have caused the sudden death.....
It's like America...But south!

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 18:36 »
Awwww.....thank you  :( :(

Ribbit

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 18:38 »
I can't imagine what it would be like without my little cheeky amber star May  :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 18:40 »
They do just do it sometimes I'd afraid  :(

Birds do have very high blood pressure and can have unexpected heart attacks or cerebral haemorrhage.

So sad - keep her in your memories and she will make you smile :)

Ribbit

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 18:43 »
Do you think she could have been stressed out? (When stressed blood pressure gets higher causing heart attacks)

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 18:57 »
God no!! She was always stressing us out!!! My little naughty houdini!!! Always breaking out into a part of the garden she wasn't supposed to be! Wandering into the house and getting in the dogs bed etc. Something caused a commotion earlier (as occurs daily) - but I don't run out so often these days, as they quite like the dog and she is normally guarding them, so I know they are in safe hands\paws!! She was quite good friends with the cats too!! A proper chilled out little chook. Perhaps it was a heart attack, plain and simple...she was lying on her back - feet in the air!! Thanks for the sympathy tho!! Even my husband who didn't really want hens liked her! So she was a little bit special!! Time for a glass of wine I think!! Cheers little Patty for all the good times!!  :(

Ribbit

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 19:02 »
She sounds like May alright :D ! Always sneaking into the house lol and shes the smallest

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 19:04 »
Yes - I think the little ones can be the worst!!  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 19:08 »
She sounds like a great little chook and has left you some wonderful memories :)

The term for it is "Flip-over Disease".  Sudden death syndrome, Dead in good condition are other often used names.

TeaPots

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 20:03 »
Oh Red Molly, how sad for you.  Some hens are just even more special than others, and the naughty ones wiggle their way into your heart just that bit deeper. Be comforted that it wasnt anything you did or didnt do, and you couldnt have prevented it. Far better to go happy and quick, whilst well loved and spoilt rotten. Bless.

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 20:24 »
Thank you Aunt Sally and thank you Tea Pots! Yes she was spoilt rotten!! Very much so! You can imagine how spoilt they remaining 5 are tonight!!!!!!!! Such a shock - but I guess that's the way it goes xx

frickinradical

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 21:25 »
i'm sorry to hear about your hen 3 of mine have just died, 2 spangled bluebells and my georgous exchequer leghorn cockerel and i was so upset, they too just died, they weren't even 1 year old

redmolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 21:36 »
Awwww....blimey - it's sooo horrible!!!
Well 2 of the others refused to go to bed tonight.....(Patty was found under the perch) - her little sister got quite upset when we removed her!! Also Molly had disappeared round the corner and gone to bed in their old hen house!!! She hasn't been near that place for months!!!!!!!!!! Guess who is going to be sat with them all day tomorrow!!

treacleminer

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 21:45 »
Sorry to hear about her death - but - do a check for redmite, there may be other reasons for the others avoiding the coop.

xx
Hen died - cause?

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:09
by LittleRedHen
xx
She died........

Started by Happy-Hound on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 11:31
by azubah
xx
Why has my hen died?

Started by tomgood99 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 17:19
by tomgood99
xx
Another hen has died

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 18, 2008, 08:36
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 28 queries.