Controlling invading couch grass in a raised bed.

• 7 Replies

Goosegirl

Controlling invading couch grass in a raised bed.
« on: June 06, 2015, 14:30 »
I have a raised bed that used to have asparagus in but got that out as it wasn't worth the space and I want to re-plant it with strawberries. It is surrounded by grass paths including couch grass. Despite digging a lot out and having yet another dig, there will be more lurking underneath that will re-grow. I was thinking of leaving my new strawberries in their pots and see what re-grows then digging down where the bed edges are and putting some cut-up plastic animal feed bags to line it. How far should I dig down?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

Re: Controlling invading couch grass in a raised bed.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 17:45 »
Goosey, we have what we call a 'hard shoulder', between the (couch etc) grass paths and the beds. It's level with the tilled bed so that I can mow easily, with one side of the mower actually just on the bed. It saves edging everywhere.

So, perhaps you could retain your raised bed, glypho the grass immediately next to the boards, and have a 'bare area' a few inches away from them?

Over the last three years, I've found that the couch has just about given up trying to get into the beds, and those bits that do, are easy to hoik out and get rid of. The first year was difficult, but this year there's hardly any couch there at all!

This may save you having to put plastic down, but couch rarely goes further than 9" down - round here anyway!

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 11:09 »
Thanks Growster. I think I will have to bite the bullet and spray weedkiller around the edges but will have to cover it afterwards so my cats don't get any on them or eat any leaves which they do from time to time as part of their digestive needs.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 18:04 »
Why not invite the cats to a big party after you've sprayed the edging bits you need to then Goosers?

Have a load of tasty morsels, plus some catnip, and a few bits of music like - er - Cats, and tell them to live it up while the glypho works its stuff!

It doesn't hurt animals after drying, so do it on a sunny day!

;0)

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 09:34 »
We do the same as Growster in having a 'hard shoulder'...we also glysophate a 4" strip around any beds that have grass running up to them. It definitely helps with not having to strim or get the shears out and any couch that invades is easily dealt with...it does give us pretty quickly.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 13:41 »
OK - will do it in the late morning/early afternoon when the sun is well out so it dries quickly, then will rush in and rustle a packet of "Dreamies." That should do the trick!  ;)

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 13:52 »
Just check the label on your Glypho, Goosers, it should say that it only works on green material or something like that!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 00:55 »
Why not invite the cats to a big party after you've sprayed the edging bits you need to then Goosers?

Have a load of tasty morsels, plus some catnip, and a few bits of music like - er - Cats, and tell them to live it up while the glypho works its stuff!

It doesn't hurt animals after drying, so do it on a sunny day!

;0)

Thats some cat party imagination  :lol:
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
couch grass

Started by allotmentann on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 15:51
by Aidy
xx
Couch Grass

Started by sweet nasturtium on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post June 12, 2007, 18:28
by brinylon
xx
Couch Grass

Started by Missey on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 30, 2019, 18:02
by rowlandwells
xx
Couch Grass

Started by jameshuk on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 07:56
by digby

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 39 queries.