More tomato woes

• 9 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

More tomato woes
« on: June 21, 2012, 13:47 »
I've been growing them both under glass and in the open most of my life but I've never experienced such stressed-out looking leaves that are on some of my plants in the tunnel and in the greenhouse. The leaves have simply curled up and the plants have stopped growing as if they were outside in bitter cold conditions. Some plants are doing fine but their neighbours have just stopped. Could it be over-watering and if so are they likely to recover once dried out a little?

allotmentann

Re: More tomato woes
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 17:54 »
I have a couple of plants nearest the door of the greenhouse with curled up leaves as you describe, I have put it down to the cold (unfortunately there is not enough space to move them further in). I have already had to put some plants outdoors owing to lack of room. They are not at all happy about it and I doubt very much I will get fruit off any of them. :(

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 22:54 »
I left my best aubergine by the door as I couldn't cram it further in. It's leaves have gone silver  >:(

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 10:34 »
Alan - it is definitely the bad weather that is affecting your plants - some sunshine would help them and us. My plants are just a fraction of the size that they were this time last year. very frustrating after all of the hard work that we put in.

sofa

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 20:36 »
have the leaves changed colour at all, or got any yellow pigmentation beginning?  mine are doing the same, but I have a feeling that blight might be hitting mine.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 00:53 »
have the leaves changed colour at all, or got any yellow pigmentation beginning?  mine are doing the same, but I have a feeling that blight might be hitting mine.

If yours are inside a greenhouse they should be relatively safe.

This cold & unseasonal weather is having a bad influence on nealry everything... apart from (perhaps) strawberries.  :unsure:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 11:56 »
No colour change, just the leaves gone all curly and growth is at a minimum. I suspect from what others have said it's just the cold and dull weather

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 12:55 »
No colour change, just the leaves gone all curly and growth is at a minimum. I suspect from what others have said it's just the cold and dull weather

Sounds about right to me.... May the warmth go with you once it edges your way.  ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 11:38 »
Aha - I researched this topic a few years ago. Normally, new tom leaves i.e. at top of plant - curl their edges down so the topside of the leaf shows. Mine curled their leaves upwards and inwards, showing their undersides, then they went a bit yellowish with purple spots (magnesium deficiency despite feeding?) and crispy. Are yours doing the same? If so, it could be the extreme changes in temps between night and day. I still got toms though.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 17:38 »
Goosegirl, I lost patience with the worst affected plants and they're now compost. The rest seem glad to be shut of them and are growing like the clappers now

xx
Tomato woes

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

14 Replies
Last post September 09, 2015, 06:56
by New shoot
clip
more tomato woes

Started by hiccup on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post August 27, 2015, 18:16
by hiccup
xx
Sweet pepper woes

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2014, 15:03
by JayG
clip
Cucumber seedlings woes

Started by argonaut on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2020, 18:28
by jaydig3

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 38 queries.