Hardening off queries

• 6 Replies

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
Hardening off queries
« on: April 16, 2012, 09:04 »
I want to start hardening off my tomatoes shortly with the aim of transplanting them into the polytunnel by the end of April / beginning of May.

It says in my book to do this on warm days and bring them back into the house overnight. So what do you do if it's colder than average or wet and windy? Do I just delay everything and only put them out for hardening when we're likely to have a dry, sunny day? I work full time so can't put them out for just a couple of hours or so.

My polytunnel is on my allotment and unfortunately I can't go up there every day and don't have space for a coldframe at home. The tomatoes are on sunny windowsill at the moment. I recently re-potted them into larger pots and they're doing extremely well. Some of my 100s and 1000s cherries have their very first tiny flower buds. They're destined for hanging baskets outside though so I don't know if it's too early to start hardening them off?

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: Hardening off queries
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 13:05 »
I've been putting my tomatoes and aubergines outside in the daytime for a week or two now. This morning I didn't put them out because it was still very cold with frost on the ground, but that's the only day in the last couple of weeks when I didn't put them out first thing in the morning. If it's wet and windy I still chuck them out. When they're outside, they're next to a wall so they're reasonably sheltered, and a bit of rain won't hurt them. They've been out in quite heavy rain and even a hail shower or two and it hasn't done any damage. I'd be careful about putting them in a spot where they catch a lot of wind though, you don't want to get the stems damaged.

Obviously don't chuck them outside for the first time when it's a chilly day, aim to start them off with a nice sunny day, but they'll start to acclimatise after a day or two and they don't need the weather to be perfect. I always think they instantly start looking stronger and putting on a growth spurt when they're outside in the daytime. The forecast overnight temps for my area are not looking too bad for the rest of week, so I'm going to start leaving a few of those tomatoes in the tunnel (in pots under fleece overnight) at the end of the week, with the aim to get everything in there by the end of April.

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 12:43 »
Thanks, Shokky, that's really helpful.

Typically the forecast for the next few days seems to be heavy showers and quite windy.

Should I risk starting them out somewhere reasonably sheltered (they are tied to little canes) or wait and hope for a warm sunny day with the risk that we might not have one for a couple of weeks?

lazydog

• Experienced Member
    • The alternative to burning tobacco
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 13:07 »
Just be aware when they are in the tunnel if the sun does come out even if its only briefly temps can rise very quickly to above 30C and the plants can get burnt ;)
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 13:11 »
If you've got a nice sheltered spot where they won't get battered, that sounds fine. We're getting a lot of showers and wind at the moment, and forecast for the next few days, but there's some nice sunshine in between the showers and it's actually quite nice and mild.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 19:28 »
Mine are staying safely inside until this wild windy spell is over, as I don't want them getting battered as soon as they venture out  :blink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Pony Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 08:13 »
Yeah, I did think about putting mine out this morning but then I wimped out!!  :lol:

xx
hardening off question

Started by al78 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post April 14, 2020, 11:37
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 28 queries.