How hot is too hot?

• 5 Replies

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
How hot is too hot?
« on: April 10, 2011, 22:09 »
These last couple of days, the temperature in my greenhouse has got up to 42 C, with all the windows wide open.

I've got some seed and seedlings in there - toms, cukes, various beans, okra, aubergines, courgettes, and some flower seedlings.

Are these things ok at that temperature, or should I be putting the shading up? The courgette seedlings were in full sun the other day and were looking very droopy, even though their compost was nice and moist.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: How hot is too hot?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 22:41 »
The shading should be up when the sun is that strong, some of my toms have got white scorch marks on them :(
Mind you weather is set to cool down from tomorrow, so you may not have to  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 23:12 »
I killed my seedlings.  I had my toms, cucs, chillies and courgettes in an old fish tank and the other night when it was very cold I covered the top with a piece of glass, but I forgot to uncover it the next day which ws very warm!

I burnt them to death!!   :( :(

Marston

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 15:19 »
I have used Coolshade this year and put it on 2 weeks ago.It has reduced the temp. by at least 10 deg and everything is doing well.I would recommend that you put it on in the next dry spell.Bought from Wilko which was much cheaper then the web.

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 12:10 »
Thanks for replies.

I bought some green shade netting from Harrod Horticultural last year, but never used it because the sun didn't shine all that much last summer.

ruralbob

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 20:41 »
Re the Cool Shade - is it the white stuff I see on folks greenhouse / windows when they're decorating???

How easy to apply / get off????

Mine was in the forties on Sunday, lucky for me I was still finishing off erecting greenhouse!
JIM

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 41 queries.