squash/pumpkins in storage.

• 21 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
squash/pumpkins in storage.
« on: January 12, 2011, 21:39 »
Which varieties do you still have in store?

I have had to use the last of my Sunshine and Uchiki Kuri as the skins started to go patchy and the last butternut to use soon as it is cracking :(

So there are 5 Thelma Sanders and 1 Ironbark left all still in perfect condition :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: squash/pumpkins in storage.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 21:42 »
1 Jumbo Yellow Banana (or similar!) left. 
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 07:22 »
I've still got 5 Crown Prince on my kitchen windowsill - never moved them after I put them there to "cure".  I haven't really got anywhere to store them anyway. Still looking (and tasting)  good! 

Reminds me to make  some squash soup this weekend.  (I've found adding a bit of creamed coconut is rather nice).
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:27 »
The pumpkins I grew last summer came from seed I saved from a supermarket bought pumpkin the previous October.  :blush: I still have one in cool store whereas the others I have either lost or caught just in time and processed. This is a pumpkin of about football size with an orange skin and because of the source I have no idea what variety it is. ::) I'm going for Crown Prince and Turk's Turban this year, so we'll see if they do as well. :)

"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 08:58 »
I have 6 butternut and 4 sweet mama squash on wire racks in a south facing poly-carb roofed porch. The b`nuts normally keep till may there , not enough left to last that long this year.

bigben

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 09:00 »
Last year was my first attempt at growing squash and pumpkins, I sowed a pack of F1 hybrid butternut and they did badly - I got about 5 from 5 plants. They tasted ok but are now gone. I also scooped seeds out of a shop bought Harliquin squash and they did fairly well - I have a few left - planted about 10 and got about 20 squash. My pumpkins came from seed given by a friend. I have no idea what they are but they taste pretty good- still got about 3 left.

Jono

• Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 13:37 »
I've got crown prince and butternuts, and they're still fine. The crown prince last for ages, they're incredible.

I don't have much room, so they get stored in a basket in my dining room. I thought they'd go off pretty soon, but I've kept them there two years running with no problem.

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 17:06 »
Hiya,

We've still got 2 and a half Pink Jumbo Banana Squash left. They were amazing fun to grow, store brilliantly (we just left them on the kitchen work top, take up loads of space though, lol) and they taste fantastic. Hubby's a big eater, but each one is doing three or four meals each for three of us and they don't seem to go bad, the flesh just kind of seals over where you've cut it and you just trim the little hard bit off and it's ready for the next meal.

I'd love to try butternut squash this year too, but everyone in our house has been converted to the Pink Jumbo Banana Squash, lol!

Herbie
herbiegrowsbananas

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 08:31 »
just noticed on Jonos post that he keeps them in the dinning room, I am in the same situation in that I live in a small flat so the only place that is always cool is the bedroom anyone else have to keep them in their house because of space.
I will have the use of a poly-tunnel this year would they be ok in there or would it be too damp ?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 08:34 »
I've stored them in the house, too nervous of mouse damage outside here - even in the garage - as we are surrounded by fields full of mice.

8doubles

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 08:50 »
just noticed on Jonos post that he keeps them in the dinning room, I am in the same situation in that I live in a small flat so the only place that is always cool is the bedroom anyone else have to keep them in their house because of space.
I will have the use of a poly-tunnel this year would they be ok in there or would it be too damp ?

I would say keep them in the coolest spot in the flat, at least it will be a fairly constant temperature.
Any condensation on squashes stored in the poly-tunnel will soon send them mouldy.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 10:41 »
I don't think that storing them in the house is a problem, they will loose moisture and the skins will shrivel reducing their keeping life, but I think you will still get plenty of keeping time - just not as long as cool-storage.

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 15:57 »
I'm grateful that I have a cool storage space for food in the basement where I keep my potatoes, carrots, onions and squash. My Red Kuri's last until July down there, even found one that fell behind the shelves in September in good condition.

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 18:15 »
What do Crown Prince taste like?

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 19:24 »
Crown Prince F1. Cucurbita Maxima. This is very sweet and tasty, having large blue/grey fruits each up to 4 kg, with a good quantity of orange flesh and should store well into spring or early Summer. Trailing vine up to 3 or 4 m.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 23:55 by John »

xx
Butternut Squash storage

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 17, 2018, 20:16
by mumofstig
xx
When to cut squash and pumpkins

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 08:56
by bigben
xx
Pumpkins & squash

Started by jcbuz1970 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post December 06, 2017, 15:12
by jcbuz1970
xx
check on your squash/pumpkins................

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 19, 2013, 16:38
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 35 queries.