STRWBALE HENHOUSE

• 9 Replies

wenlock chooks

STRWBALE HENHOUSE
« on: June 26, 2008, 21:09 »
I am about to embark on the design of a strawbale henhouse, anyone interested??

I have designed and built strawbale buildings before and think the henhouse plan/sketch could be a modular thing, for larger houses add three bales more sort of thing etc...

is there anything in particular that people have included /devised in their houses that they find invaluable??

answers on a post card please tooo.. me here and I can get moving on this and maybe publish it for others to build, will use predominantly recyclable materials or waste such as strawbales.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
STRWBALE HENHOUSE
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 21:43 »
Hi There, Welcome to the forums.

Sounds like an interesting project.

How are you going to guard against red mite etc. and how will you fox proof it ?

compostqueen

STRWBALE HENHOUSE
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 21:52 »
I'd like a pull-out poo tray please  :D

Sounds fascinating!  Would this have some kind of render over it, adobe, that sort of thing ?

Brambles

STRWBALE HENHOUSE
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 22:07 »
I LOVE the idea of this, but don't like the thought of all the mites, ticks and all other bugs and stuff.  Plus, wouldn't it smell after a year or so?? can't wash poo off straw too easily, or is the idea to do a kind of rendering inside and out??

poultrygeist

STRWBALE HENHOUSE
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 22:44 »
Not to mention mice and rats. And would cooling and ventilation be difficult ?

Sounds fascinating if you can address the few concerns. Would love a strawbale house.

Rob

compostqueen

STRWBALE HENHOUSE
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 23:38 »
if it got infested you'd set fire to it and make another one. Maybe, probably, not sure though  :D

wenlock chooks

STRWBALE HENHOUSE
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 14:42 »
Good points all.

generally infesations are not such a huge issue with bales, as straw doesn't have any real nutritional value it doesn't generally get infested, as say Hay might.

I'd probably render the inner surface and have the bottom section
(internally) done with sheets of plywood, this has proved sucessful before in an outdoor pursuits center to keep kids bags off the lime renders.

Windows are not a problem, you create a window buck ( 4 sides box)  the same depth as the bales and insert it between timber supports, leaving a nice deep ledge for the birds to sun bathe in, it also hepls to stop rain penetrating as the ledge is ofetn 400-500mm deep.

Rendering with lime based mortars helps the building breathe all year, good sound properties so it's very peacefull and warm to boot.

Dense straw doesn't absorb as much water as youd think, and with decent overangs on the roof, much of the rain is kept off, except when it's driving at the building, endlessly for days and days and days...lol

The removeable poop tray will take a little engineering, can't you use a brush like all the rest of us???

The idea is to have a timber frame to keep all this together, so wall sections would be replacable should they get infested or damaged in any way.
I have done one for a sheep pen where we had to rebuild the shed after 5 years of sheeps wee had made one or two of the bales rot, but I think 5 years of sheeps pee would have that effect on many things, to get around it happening we lifted the bales up off the floor by making a 2 x 4 treated timber frame (ring beam), with a ply wood top, this did the trick and 8 years on, it's still in use.

Recycled car tyres can be used as the foundation blocks filled with hard pact hard core material, 2 tyres deep one or 2 high and a ring beam, you stagger the tyres so a line along the front and a second row inetween creating a triangular arrangement of three tyres, the tyres and hard core negae the need for a damp course of any type. I'lll have to get some sketches done and et you all see what I am thinking and then you can comment on the sketches.

peace and love

tom

poultrygeist

STRWBALE HENHOUSE
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 16:06 »
Have you finished it yet ??!!  :shock:

...do they get quite warm in summer or could allow ample ventilation ?

The chooks themselves generate a lot of warmth at night and it needs to dissipate.

Not sure how you'd guard against mite infestations or eradicate them should they appear. Might be tricky with a lime render. You'd need to drench the interior with poultryshield or similar.

Otherwise, fantastic idea and can't wait for the photos. You will post photos of course  :roll:

Rob  :)

Poolfield2

STRWBALE HENHOUSE
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 21:16 »
We are all waiting for you to perfect this so we can copy, so hurry up please :lol:  :lol:  My chook house is due to be replaced soon or hugely repaired so I'm interested.

robbobnbill

STRWBALE HENHOUSE
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 22:33 »
got any pics?
"A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones who need the advice"  - Bill Cosby

xx
henhouse

Started by Thrift on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post January 30, 2012, 12:51
by Thrift
xx
plans for a henhouse pls

Started by poppie on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 17:26
by Vember
xx
Henhouse plans - from pallets

Started by FCG on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post August 08, 2008, 20:04
by agapanthus
xx
Building a New Henhouse from Pallets

Started by muntjac on Design and Construction

20 Replies
Last post March 16, 2008, 08:55
by muntjac

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 35 queries.