Stretching things a little I now but I may very well need

• 14 Replies

Bodger

Help and advice this summer. Here's my this summers project, be warned, I'm cack handed.

I bought this 'Liverpool Cart' a good many years ago. It wasn't in particularly good condition when I bought it, I did get quite a bit of  use out of it, but then much to my shame, it was abandoned in the corner of the field and was left there for many years. The boys and I have just dragged it out of the brambles and I intend to totally renovate it back to its former glory.  :lol:

Its going to take a lot of TLC and quite a bit of money. I will also need to glean a lot of information from the more handy members of the Lotty, so bare with me if you will.  :lol:  

The cart was made using what I think are known as military wheels and the tyres look to be from motorbikes. The tyres are all split and will have to be replaced once the wheels have been cleaned up.

Here I am with Doodles favourite, Bridget pulling the cart. This was taken many years ago when my kids did as I asked them.  :-)

The first thing I'll be doing, is finishing off stripping all the rotten wood off and then deciding what sort of wood to replace it with.
In my minds eye, one day I might be using this to collect the apples from my own cider orchard. A nice thought isn't it ? but at the moment thats quite a way off.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 18:07 »
That looks like a fantastic project Bodger.  You've got a lot of  work to ddo there.

I used to do a lot of riding in my "younger" days but I've never driven, I'd love to have a go at that  :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 19:08 »
That looks like a dream project. I'm very envious but, as you say, a lot of money and effort.

Wish you well with it and wish I had some expertise to offer. Just the usual jack of all and master of none.  :)

If you collect apples from your own orchard I think you'd be hard pushed to ever top that.

Good luck

Rob

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 19:39 »
One thing I'd recommend is to use treated lumber on the lineal supports only. You don't want treated wood anywhere that will touch edible items. Cedar or such for the cross planks would last a long time (if cedars exist in the UK).
Love the wheels - perhaps a metal stripping or polishing shop to clean up rust if that's what's on them. Could be a very long task in itself otherwise. As for the rubber tyres, you might have to hunt for the right size if the rims are any indication.
Look forward to seeing the finished project.

shaun

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 21:17 »
stick a pallet on it mate and you will be on your way  :wink: i wil keep a look out on the bala road for yer  :lol:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 02:53 »
And if you see Shaun, please run him over Bodger  :wink:

shaun

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 07:22 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
And if you see Shaun, please run him over Bodger  :wink:

somehow i think i will see bodger 1st  :roll:  :wink:

shaun

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 07:31 »
do you know any industrial painters bodge ?  I would think about having it shot blasted 1st to see how much metal work is needed,then think about the timber,the tyres shouldnt be a problem unles they are solid tyres (cant see any valves)

Bodger

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 08:15 »
The tyres are pump up Shaun, I was thinking about a sand blaster for the wheels, would that work ? or is that what a shot blaster is ?

shaun

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 14:25 »
yes bodger a sand/shot blaster is the same thing realy,you can hire them not sure on the cost though might be worth ringing around,they dont realy use sand nowadays they tend to use beads,if you can I would get the lot blasted to see what your up against.it would be a long boring job with a wire brush  :wink:

muntjac

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 22:29 »
the wheels are not military bodger old chap they came off a 1920's . 1930's   . austin or a early rover, the tyres look like early avon road runners,tubed you can source the tyres from freddy friths in grimsby south humberside or a chap in southwold .classic moror cycles .he is in the " DOME " units in the town ,, cost not sure , grit blasting them is an idea as this can then give you a fresh base for red lead ,, under no circumstanes use the powder coat stuff as it will mean you cant paint over them in ur chosen colour.  :)
still alive /............

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 06:42 »
i live near grimsby munty and alas freddie friths burnt down years ago and didnt reopen.

muntjac

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 07:21 »
dammmmmmmmmmmmnation i loved that old place :cry:

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 15:44 »
it must be some years that u moved away from this area then?

shaun

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 19:13 »
Quote from: "Rampant_Weasel"
it must be some years that u moved away from this area then?

when he was 40 and that was 36 years ago  :wink:

xx
link to building a few things

Started by leeky on Design and Construction

29 Replies
Last post September 02, 2007, 20:07
by shibby
xx
putting in things for peas to grow up

Started by mrsbaggins on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 21:25
by FCG

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 35 queries.