Should our government do more about obesity?

• 17 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Should our government do more about obesity?
« on: September 15, 2023, 13:26 »
Maybe I'm just noticing it more but obesity seems to be getting more and more widespread. Some BBC TV personalities look wider than they are tall. The BBC's Washington correspondent Gary O'Donnegue and the Garden Rescue lass Charlie Dimmock are two obvious examples.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Should our government do more about obesity?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 17:59 »
We seem to be copying the USA, Alan.
You'd think that knowing you have more chance of surviving Covid et al without any 'excess baggage', people would be watching what they were eating.
A few years ago I started logging everything I ate, before I 'forgot' it, on the fatsecret.co.uk food diary site and it really opened my eyes to just how many calories I was eating (especially carbs  :ohmy:) and reintroduced the idea of portion control.
Diabetes runs in my family so the longer I can avoid that, the better.....

wighty

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 18:16 »
I'm a 'skinny' that has been told to put  on weight.   Paul has lost over 7 stone on his water tablets after his heart scare earlier this year.    All  his family are 'bigger boned'  and sometimes obesity is not   relative to over eating.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2023, 18:41 »
You can weigh a lot more because of being 'big boned', or being 'well-muscled', like some athletes are - but that is usually allowed for for within the BMI range of ideal weight. There's obviously a visible difference between people who are all muscle/bone and people who are just overweight
Certain illnesses, will also make you put on weight, but the treatments usually correct this as your hubby is proving. Well done to him  :D

AndyRVTR

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 07:17 »
I think we're starting to get to the stage where people are expecting Government to sort out every single thing! People have a choice whether to eat a healthy meal, or eat a donner kebab!!
I believe food education should start at home by children's parents and also taught in schools as part of the national curriculum.
I know obesity isn't all food related, but the majority is... unfortunately, we now live in a world of convenience, where we expect things quickly, whether that be fast food, shopping or deliveries from well known retailers!
I've always struggled with my weight ever since I can remember, because I love food, I eat a varied diet and I love a nice salad now & again as well as fruit & veg but I also love pizza, kebabs, Indians etc.
If I don't monitor my calories, my portion control goes right out of the window and I just pile the weight on.
I've always been 'big boned' and the only way I can lose or maintain my weight is by counting calories! I started (another) conscious effort to lose weight in March when the scales tipped 18st 10lb... I'm 6' 1" and I've mostly stuck to my calorie counting since then and I'm currently 16st 13lb.. my bmi is 31.4 which the NHS says I'm obese.. and my ideal weight according to them is between 10st - 13˝st  :ohmy: so I've only another 3˝st to go :wacko:

« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 07:18 by AndyRVTR »

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2023, 08:39 »
Like Wighty, I'm quite thinnish but have tiny bones. When I had my hip replacement they had to use a child's spike. Currently I'm about 8st 4lbs so probably at the lower end of where I should be. Obesity to me is quite a personal thing, meaning the reasons why it is so and what can be done, and is probably best tailored for the individual so as to get the best result for them. I do feel sorry for those who are grossly overweight despite sticking to a diet etc. Think that may be a genetic thing?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2023, 09:08 »
I fill a doorway - in all directions.  There's no way I'm getting on the scales after the last 18 months.

I certainly don't think a sugar or fat tax is in any way helpful. If anything I'd like to see them reduce the price of fresh unprocessed foods like meat, fish and veggies - subsidise it even. That way people like me with hollow legs wouldn't need to keep carb loading.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2023, 09:52 »
You are right Lardman
I clearly remember visiting Sainsbury’s many years ago and being shocked to see that they had rearranged the store so the first thing you hit was prepared meals. You needed to hunt to find the meat and fish I was looking for. One thing I notice is that if you fancy a curry you are much better off making it yourself. If you buy the ready meals you get a small bit of chicken and a miserly portion of rice and sauce. I prefer to get a piece of chicken breast, marinade in yogurt and tandoori powder and cook it myself. That way you know what you are eating and your not left hungry after your meal.
Keep digging

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2023, 08:22 »
HH - now you've gone and made me hungry as I love chicken Tandoori with yoghurt and haven't had it for ages. Any recommendations for a good but not too hot Tandoori powder?

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2023, 10:01 »
HH - now you've gone and made me hungry as I love chicken Tandoori with yoghurt and haven't had it for ages. Any recommendations for a good but not too hot Tandoori powder?

Just checked my cupboards I have some from natco and another from kitchen chef. I just collect them when I’m in an Asian store. Enjoy HH

GraciesGran

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2023, 15:51 »
I think one of the problems is that basic cooking skills are no longer taught in school.  Fortunately my kids and grandchildren cook from scratch because that's what they've seen their parents do even though working full time. 

We've been using our wedding present posh china while we wait for a new dishwasher which won't arrive till the kitchen is replaced at the end of the year - plates and bowls take considerably less than the china we had been using so portion control is another factor.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2023, 20:28 »
Count me among the big-boned. Of my four siblings, three are also BB. My older brother (God rest his soul) never was.

Generally, my younger sister is mostly healthy, she also stays active (gardener), and has a fairly healthy diet. Here at home, we mostly eat a diet with many fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and light on meat. A fair bit of dairy and egg protein. My last doctor office visit showed me with a healthy BP and cholesterol/ triglycerides (doc asked if someone prescribed me any statins - no).  I also stay active. Sometimes I eat things that are less healthy but taste good.

My older sister and younger brother have a less healthy diet and generally are less active. It seems to affect their overall health.

I think if governments recommend things to keep you healthy, they have done their job.  Like my country's experiment with prohibition a century ago, and "the war on drugs" more recently, a more heavy-handed approach can backfire.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2023, 20:47 »
As long as the basics of food education are there, I don't want to see any other government intervention. It's costly to the tax payer and doesn't change people's eating habits. Taxing 'unhealthy' foods normally ends up hitting the pocket of those who can least afford the increase.
I get the argument that obesity impacts health service provision and maybe there's an argument for patient contracts for treatment of illness caused by lifestyle, ie diabetics have to sign an agreement that they will cut excess sugar intake in return for long-term medication provision. But then again the argument is also that those same people have already paid for their treatment via National Insurance.

And that's my allocation of vaguely political posting for 2023 used up ;)

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2023, 22:29 »
P1P, I agree.

Also worth mentioning that Mrs. Subversive eats healthier and exercises more than I do, is a healthy weight, but struggles to keep BP, cholesterol, and blood sugar in a healthy range.

Sometimes genetics is just unfair, and should not be punished.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 23:46 by Subversive_plot »

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2023, 23:53 »
That's the raw truth of it SP. Genetics is such an important factor in health and I'm a strong believer that we need to increase health screening from a younger age to help people make their own decisions regarding their long term health based on their genetic precursors.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 50 queries.