Propagating roses

• 8 Replies

chrissie B

Propagating roses
« on: June 04, 2020, 22:38 »
I was wondering if any one has a realy easy way of taking cuttings from Rose's if possible,  tell you why I'm moving house in 1 year  and 7 months  or so and I have 2 of my Rose's I would love to keep they smell wonderful , I have tried the rose cutting in the potatoes and for me it failed so any ideas please .
Chrissie b

« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 23:09 by mumofstig »
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Propagating roses
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 23:36 »
I will take my rose cuttings in Autumn, as usual, and cut lengths of about 12-15ins of straight stem that grew this year.
The bottom cut is just below a leaf node and the top cut is just above a leaf node, remove the leaves except a couple at the top.
On the bottom, maybe six ins, of the cutting remove the thorns by snapping them off, then dip the bottom of the cuttings and dust the thorn 'wounds' with rooting powder, shaking off any excess.
Push the cuttings into deep pots of gritty compost or soil/compost mix leaving just a few inches above the soil level.
I used supermarket flower buckets for mine last year, 2 cuttings per bucket. I took 2 cuttings of my Buff Beauty rose and 2 of Evelyn, both of the BB began growing this spring and 1 of the Evelyn :)

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 16:00 »
When we moved house, I just dug the roses up and took them with us! I pruned them down to a manageable size first. They are thriving in our new garden, but it did take a couple of years.

I agree with MOS's method for cuttings though.  :D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 16:01 by I Love Spuds »
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

chrissie B

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 11:36 »
Hi mumofstig was wondering how long the cuttings take to become rose bushes.
And also I love spuds how old were the Rose's you moved the ones I have are well we have had 9  years before that I dont know I would move them because my son Is going to extend the shed and they will be lost what happens about roots can they be cut .
Chrissie b

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 11:51 »
Hi mumofstig was wondering how long the cuttings take to become rose bushes.
Chrissie b
Mine are about 18ins now, with a few branches, but no flowers, they do need time to grow - like anything grown from a cutting. It will also depend on the size/vigour of the parent variety how quickly you get a full size bush - nothing is instant.
Even if you prune them, dig them up with as much root as you can (you'll probably need to cut the long tap roots) and replant, they still need a good year, or 2, to recover, as ILS says.

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 15:11 »
They were a mix of ages really but none younger than 5 years old. I just dug out a big root ball around 18 cubic inches and replanted the whole thing. They also sat in a big tubs for at least a month or two with no extra soil added, before I replanted them! Roses are remarkably tough!

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 15:55 »
I should add that we moved in March so they were pretty dormant when I dug them up. Not sure if that makes a difference but my logic suggests it probably helped so as not to upset them when they're fully active.  :wub:

jezza

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 14:44 »
Hello as Mum of Stig suggests that's the easier way of getting cuttings just a word of caution before moving check that Rose's haven't been planted in the place you want to put them before as theres something called rose dieback  if Rose's have been in before the soil may need to be changed   jezza

chrissie B

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 13:30 »
Thanks all for info I think I will try digging up the whole thing theres no Rose's where going and it will be fab march the soil is better as well mine is like concrete.chrissieb

xx
Propagating crocuses

Started by SpudtheBinx on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 18:55
by weeeed
xx
Propagating Hawthorn

Started by upert on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 19:20
by Celtic Eagle
xx
Propagating aeoniums...

Started by Contadino on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2022, 20:48
by Contadino
xx
propagating laurier

Started by kkc on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2016, 10:08
by kkc

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 34 queries.