Mares tail

• 12 Replies

alexroyall85

Mares tail
« on: June 26, 2017, 17:18 »
Hi all
I have a lot of mares tail poking up throughout the allotment. Is there any chemical that can touch this stuff as roundup from the farm I work at doesn't seem to touch it. Is it just a case of pulling out by hand?
Thanks in advance
Alex

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Mares tail
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 18:09 »
Marestail has a silica coating so for any chemical to have any effect you must first bruise the leaves to enable the plant to absorb the chemical.

There isn't anything that is suitable - the only option really is to keep pulling it out weekly. 

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

BARNACLE BILL

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 19:33 »
I have the same problem on my plot. If you dig down at the side of the stem. Then grab the stem about six inches below the soil. Pull it upwards and you will feel it snap. It has then left a portion of the woody stem in the ground. And that will make a return in the future. I have trampled on an area of growth then sprayed with Roundup. It is now going brown but as the roots go down up to one metre. I am not sure what effect it will have.

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 20:06 »
I have a mate that is a grave digger, if he comes across mare's tail 6ft deep, I fear there is no hope.  Just keep hoeing they will get weaker.

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 20:56 »
We took our allotment plot in in September 2009.   It was riddled with horsetail (I think mare's tail is an aquatic version, but I am sure we are talking about the same thing).   We have sieved every square inch of the soil, to remove not only the horsetail, but chunks of broken glass and various rubble.   We are now horsetail free, but every now and then a new sprig pops up.  Pouncing on it at once seems to keep us free of it.   It took 5 years to get to this point, but it can be done.

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 08:00 »
I've got it popping up everywhere too, even through the tarmac drive. I'm using rosate 36 weedkiller and so far it's working, some bits have had 2 sometimes 3 applications but it's dying back. The parts that have been walked on before spraying die faster so I'm now bruising it first, how effective it is in the long term we'll see.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 10:30 »
I had masses on 1 of my 1/2 plots, I tried bruising it & using glyphosate numerous times, it checked it but didn't eradicate it. As said it has very deep roots which led me to view it differently, if it's roots are so deep it won't take moisture from my plants. I also read an article somewhere that advised gently pulling it out when it has put lots of energy into growing 7-10 cms tall as it cannot then store energy as effectively to continue growing. If I'm digging & come across roots of it I dig as much out as I can but without going 10ft down. I've found this approach has held it back but feel if I turned my back for 5 minutes I could soon see it back all over again.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 14:31 »
We have it invading from next door's plot, and a patrol that boundary carefully, pulling up any bits I find once they are tall enough to grab hold of.

Annoying they seem to do nothing to attempt control so I am going to have a conversation with them...maybe they don't know what it is?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 21:06 »
I've had the damn stuff everywhere.
I just keep pulling it up.
After 3 or 4 years it is disappearing from most areas.

Persistence and patience will win in the end.

The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 21:48 »
Yep I've got lots of the p's

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 08:17 »
It also prefers poorly drained acidic conditions so liming takes you in the right direction. On our site the underlying clay makes drainage improvements a bit of a non-starter.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 09:16 »
In Wigan we paid the miners to pull it back down!

Or to Quote a famous member... "Never let it see a Sunday"
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 14:30 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
mares tail'horse tail

Started by flutemaster on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 20:54
by gobs
xx
mares tail

Started by colin h on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 10:17
by Sue33
xx
I’ve got mares tail

Started by Snowboar on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 11, 2022, 20:31
by snowdrops
xx
Mares Tail

Started by fred-quimby on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 15:54
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.376 seconds with 37 queries.