How hard is it to dismantle / rebuild a greenhouse ?

• 17 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
How hard is it to dismantle / rebuild a greenhouse ?
« on: October 03, 2013, 16:26 »
I have been asked whether I want a small aluminium greenhouse for my new allotment.

It's a very kind offer, but I really have no idea how hard or otherwise it is to dismantle one, then re-erect it again. No doubt I should be considering using a permanent marker, or something to mark all the bits, then at least I'll have a 'fighting chance' when it comes to putting it all together again.

Has anybody here dismantled a greenhouse before ... if so, have you any tips ?

thank you

Fairy Plotmother

Re: How hard is it to dismantle / rebuild a greenhouse ?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 16:40 »
The Plotfather and I did!!!!! First of all the Plotfather is a mechanic and a very good handyman, so that makes the job a couple of steps easier. He took lots of photos from every angle and of everything. He also marked with permanent marker left and right, inside and out etc. anything that he thought would help. We removed the roof glass first, then the rest. then we took down the frame from the top. It took about 3 hours. We put it back together fairly easily but it took longer as all the glass had to be washed. We bought a new auto-vent for the roof window, so the whole lot cost £85 .... And I am as happy as Larry with it.  :D Good luck.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 17:34 »
I've done two - purchased off eBay and carted home half way across the country ... the person who helped me and I are practical people, OK with DIY; we didn't find it difficult, just a bit laborious.  I know its obvious, but you do need some suitable gloves for handling the glass.  I assumed I could handle it carefully and it was only when I had several cuts that I relented and put the gloves on!

I took loads of photographs, which were sufficient when we came to reassemble it.  In my case reassembly was more than a year later ... a shorter time would definitely help as more likely to remember how the original had been!

The aluminium greenhouses I bought were old. Many of the bolts "wrung off", however they are standard, and replacements readily available. We also needed some additional glazing clips.  The original type no longer available, but I bought a bag of the sprung "W-Shaped" ones and they seem to have been fine ... all that was more than 6 years ago and they are still standing :)

The rubber seal between frame and greenhouse was not reusable, and no current replacement could be sourced, so I used self-adhesive draught excluder (the foam stuff that comes on a roll) and that seems to have worked well. I chose the Brown rather than the White as I reasoned that it was likely to be (somewhat?) more UV stabilized

There are details on my blog. Not sure they will tell you anything, in particular, but it might boost your confidence if you are unsure about it :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 17:36 by Kristen »

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 20:09 »
All great advice above.  I've just finished putting my 2nd hand one up today.  Not too difficult just time consuming. 

The only thing I will add is if you can find the assembly manual for it, online or otherwise, it will help enormously as it did us. See if you can find out the make and model.

Oh and if you've got or could borrow a van it would mean you could take it down in sections rather than totally dismantling it as we had to.  Then it's more like putting a prefab back together. 

Get it, nothing to lose.  If you get stuck there's always people at the plot willingly to help to.
I said a Keith Richards not a Cliff Richard..................

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 22:24 »
It dose take two people and the glass is the hard bit but as everyone says, take lots of pictures.
I put one up in the snow when I was young and stupid and with no help.
Give your selves plenty of time and it will be a piece of cake, put the bolts in a bag and buy some spares plus the glass fixings.
Good luck, pick a sunny day as well.
I'm lost without my SatNav.

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 23:07 »
I have also purchased, dismantled, transported and rebuilt a greenhouse, I found it really easy, the glass was just held in place with clips, (I was worried about breaking the glass so I ran around the glass with a stanley knife if it felt stuck) I numbered the different  parts before I dismantled it then just matched up the numbers when it came to rebuilding - easy peasy. The one that I purchased had safety glass but even that was quite fragile, so I imagine standard glass will need some care!
I had an helper to dismantle it, when it came to rebuilding my son helped me position the back and side sections and once I had those bolted together I managed to build the rest up by myself.
Allotment 04.10.13_crop.jpg
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 23:16 by MickyB »

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 17:18 »
Don't do what my dad did with grandad's old greenhouse a few years ago.

He tied it to the roof of the car (no roof rack) ::) went around a rather bendy road in Cornwall and the whole lot came flying off the top of the car ::)
Smashed glass and bent metal all over the road apparently (I wasn't there at the time)

What a pl*nker! :lol:

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 17:15 »
Well, I managed to dismantle it, or at least part-way.

The bolts were a real * to undo, even after I had sprayed them all with WD40

In the end, after taking off the roof, I separated the 4 sides and carried them home. Luckily I only live about 1/2 mile from where I was getting the GH. Unfortunately though, the trip to the allotment is more like 1 1/2 miles.

I'll get some new bolts and glazing clips.

The bolts originally had wee crosses on the heads (see picture below ... in 5 minutes) but i assume any 10mm bolt would be OK, as long as they have a square head.

Are the W shaped window clips the ones to use ... there were some others on the GH, but I think these were maybe just used as they were available. Are all W clips the same size

At the 4 ridge, next tot he corner posts the bolts were as if the head had been flattened .. meaning it was very very hard to try and grip them, when unscrewing the nut underneath. NO doubt these 'flat headed' bolts are there to let the glass rest on top easily and not get broken. Where can I buy these from. Again, I'll upload a picture very soon.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 17:28 by wbmkk »

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 19:22 »
I believe all greenhouse spares can be purchased at the major DIY outlets.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 20:55 »
Most good garden centres will carry all your greenhouse fixings for a few pennies.
The 'w' shaped clips are evil but necessary!! :lol: I let Ben fix them to the glass panes as I'm too scared by the snap they make!! :lol: :lol:

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 21:19 »
Standard galvanised parts, not any bolts.

eBay will turn up a number of cheaper suppliers than DIY superstores. You might find you get more spares then you need, still at a lower price, but that could make you popular with other plot holders.

Paddy

Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 17:55 »
Just to say the W clips I found better but I did put them in with a small pliers, the silver window clips are ok but mine did pop out with the aid of a feral cat that sleeps in there at night times.
PS. get the base level, this helps.

Olorin2001

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 08:43 »
The important thing to remember is to transport the glass standing on its edge - vertical - make a rough frame from an old pallet or such - NEVER try laying the glass flat, or you will have lots of broken panes.

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 12:18 »
The important thing to remember is to transport the glass standing on its edge - vertical - make a rough frame from an old pallet or such - NEVER try laying the glass flat, or you will have lots of broken panes.

thanks for info ... and welcome to the forum  :D

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 16:01 »

I dismantled two greenhouses, re-assembled them in the process joined them end to end and moved the door from an end access to the side!

Anything is possible, just go steady.  Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
Okay, I know I'm hard to please ....

Started by shokkyy on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2012, 19:17
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Greenhouse too hot

Started by businessmonkey9 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post May 24, 2020, 19:29
by rowlandwells
xx
New Greenhouse

Started by Eblana on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2012, 09:31
by mumofstig
xx
A new greenhouse

Started by meriad on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

16 Replies
Last post February 07, 2019, 13:47
by grinling

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 31 queries.