broody hen, help needed please

• 4 Replies

jackieand glenn

broody hen, help needed please
« on: May 06, 2011, 17:09 »
hi all, could someone tell me the dos and donts regarding a broody hen please. at least i think shes broody, she sits half of the day on any eggs thats left, goes manic at me when i try to get her off, then she comes out of nesting box and free reange in garden ok. ive bought a false egg and was going to shu her in other hen house on her own tomorrow, but not sure how many days and does it have to be all day, or can she go in garden later on in day with the others. you can tell im new to keeping chickens. this site is a life line to me, thanks everyone for all the help. jackie

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: broody hen, help needed please
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 17:23 »
are you wanting to get her to hatch eggs? Do you have any fertile eggs? What about any cockerels that hatch - they are very difficult to get rid off unless you or somebody you know will kill gut and pluck them?
Staffies are softer than you think.

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 17:24 »
One of our hens went broody for the first time a few weeks ago. I took lots of advice and in the end I lifted her out of the nesting box a few times each day, took any eggs from under her and lifted her to food and water.  After a few days she started staying out for longer and a few days ago she has returned to normal behaviour but is not yet laying eggs

Good luck with your girl!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

jackieand glenn

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 17:46 »
sorry i didnt explain very clear. we dont want her sitting on eggs. we have no cockerel and no fertile eggs. as im new to chickens i thought ,if she broody she would sit all day. but as she gets out nesting box after a few hours im not to sure.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 18:23 »
ok, so whatever you do don't get her any pot eggs etc as she will sit for 3 weeks trying to hatch them, either block off the nest box and keep chucking her out the coop or better still get a dog crate and place her inside that with just layers pellets and water. You can bring her inside the coop overnight or just make sure that she is out of the elements (strong winds, rain etc). You may have to keep her in this for upto a week but the most one of mine has needed this treatment is 4 days  :)

xx
Help needed - broody hen

Started by Missteecee on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 19:46
by nuggets dad
xx
Broody Hen - Advice needed please!

Started by Tazzy on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 09:46
by Pretty Chick
xx
help needed...broody bantams!

Started by honda600 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 24, 2011, 16:13
by Casey76
xx
advise needed on broody hen

Started by pinkladies on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 09:26
by Ma Lowe

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 33 queries.