Eggs laid on floor

• 7 Replies

jinty1911

Eggs laid on floor
« on: October 02, 2010, 15:53 »
This is 2nd morning I have let the girls out of house and found an egg on the floor of house.  They were both very cold so assume they have been laid during the night or early morning.  Have only been getting eggs (2 small ones a day off 3 chicks) since last Monday.  Is 1 of them laying on floor because they are young and don't realise what the nest box is  for?  :wacko:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Eggs laid on floor
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 15:57 »
Possibly. 

Try putting a couple of golf balls or table tennis balls in the nest so that she realises that's the place to put her eggs.

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 18:05 »
if you only have one nest box one hen have been desparate .....

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 18:40 »
How old are they? You can also get wooden eggs and you can place one in the next box and that helps to guide them. Now and again I get one on the coop floor, but it's not a problem as it's first thing in the morning and I normally pick it up when I open my ladies up for the day. I wouldn't worry too much.

2 eggs a day is ok for 3 ladies - they could all be laying and one having the odd day off here and there. Theyw ill get bigger as they mature.
Alan

jinty1911

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 17:21 »
Got 3 eggs off 3 chickies today!!! yippee.  :lol:  1 in nest box, 1 on floor, 1st thing and 1 laid a bit later in the morning.  They are still very small (2 eggs to 1 poaching dish haha). Have 2 nest boxes but 1 egg still on floor.  Think it's Cilla doing it as she keeps sleeping on floor. I go out several times every night and pick her up and put her on perch but think it's a losing battle.  Not really that bothered as long as they dont get broken.
Cheers
Jinty

jinty1911

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 19:58 »
Yahoo  :D 3 wee eggs today, all laid in nest box, but when I went to lock them in for the night they were all sitting on floor.  It is very windy and wet here, so assumed they were getting a draught from window.  It is now blocked off.  Will see what happens next time I check on them.
Jinty

NormandyMary

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 20:31 »
For the last 3 or4 days, one of my girls has laid an egg in the run outside the henhouse, almost as if she has been caught short!

jinty1911

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 20:42 »
ha ha watched one of mine yesterday and that was exactly what it was like.  She was out in garden and suddenly made a run for the hen house.  Got into coop, stood for a few minutes and then went back into the garden.  This was repeated 4 times until she eventually went in.  Emerged 15 mins later and rejoined her pals.  Lovely wee egg in box and she didnt make a peep.  Brave girl  :D  :D

xx
New Chooks have laid first eggs

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 15:35
by compostqueen
xx
My first chickens have laid eggs.

Started by knittywittywoo on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 22:09
by Vember
xx
Yeah!! first eggs laid!

Started by Porffor on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 00:38
by Porffor
xx
2 Eggs laid at the same time?

Started by Jacinta on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 13:07
by Jacinta

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 36 queries.