MITES.

• 7 Replies

chloe

• Experienced Member
MITES.
« on: July 29, 2010, 13:32 »
My chickens have just got mites  >:( and i really want to get rid of them. I cleaned out their hut and then de-mited it and all their nest boxes. I have gotsome powder to do the chickens but i tryed putting it on and they won't stay still  :( so how am i going to de-mite them?

I really want them gone as when ever i go in their hut i get coverd with mites  :mad:

Thanks

sneezer

• Experienced Member
Re: MITES.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 14:01 »
If you put the powder where they like to dust bathe and they will do the rest! Failing that when they are in the coop at night dust them then as they should be nice and sleepy!

chloe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 15:11 »
Okay thank you :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 15:51 »
or you can put a load of the powder in a pillowcase (an old one), put the chicken inside the pillowcase leaving her head outside and hold the opening tight around their neck. Then you can rub the powder into her. Do you have any frontline spray or similar?
Staffies are softer than you think.

chloe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 17:24 »
That's a good idea, i have a powder which i put on them. I will try that and see what happens, thank you  :)

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 19:52 »
Joyful, that sounds fantastic fun  :D. I usually end up white from head to foot anyway!

fethoboy

• live life to the full.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 23:32 »
hi chloe.  its not just the birds that need doing,their coop needs drastic action by the sound of it if you are covered in mites when you go in there.comletely clean it out and spray with a good red mite solution making sure you get in the cracks and cranies.it would be a good idea to creosote the pen if you can get some,but it has to be completely dry before you let your birds back in,leaving the door open so it gets a good airing.frontline is good for your birds if you can get some,johnstones pigeon spray is also good if you have small birds,you will have to do this routine on a regular basis untill you have got on top of it.a bit drastic i know but it has to be done if you are going to get rid of them.

steve.
call ducks for me.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 06:58 »
sorry fethoboy but as creosote was banned for use by the general public we cannot advocate it's use on here  :(

xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
xx
mites!

Started by Tartuffe on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 17:41
by Tartuffe
xx
Leg Mites

Started by ChristyRose on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 31, 2011, 20:59
by daisy1990
xx
mites

Started by agapanthus on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 09, 2007, 23:11
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.679 seconds with 39 queries.