Day 15 - coturnix quail

• 7 Replies

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
Day 15 - coturnix quail
« on: July 27, 2010, 20:34 »
I have a silkie who decided to sit on some quail eggs, i thought well i'll give her a chance! Its been 15 days now. So possibly start hatching tomorrow, anyone else hatched quail under a broody chicken before?  Should I just leave her now and see how she goes with the wee uns if they hatch?

Cheers for any info

Steve

Casey76

Re: Day 15 - coturnix quail
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 22:33 »
I'm not sure a hen could cope with quail chicks... they are supercharged!

Quail should be kept in an aviary-type enclosure as they are very flighty and tend to jump vertically in the air when surprised (i.e. all the time!)

I have 3 week old quail chicks and they are driving me batty with how flighty they are lol

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 08:13 »
Hiya Casey, I keep quails anyway, not with the chickens though! However I have only ever hatched them in the incy I will take the chicks off her once they have hatched. Theres a lot of pipping going on at the moment!

Steve

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 09:22 »
These are my first quail and they are an experience  :lol:

As I was moving them from the incy to the brooder one jumped out of my hand ('cos I was scared to squish them as they are soooo tiny) and just 24 hours after hatching 1 quail was running all over my spare room - it certainly gave me the run around until I managed to catch it again.

Do you have quail coloured quail or do you have differed colours?

I have 5 "normal" and three which are a bit different.  They are adorable though (when not doing the VTAL) and make the cutest noises  :wub:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 09:32 »
sorry but I feel so sad for the broody hen who has hopefully sat patiently and hatched these chicks - could you not get her a few day old chicks to replace the quails after they hatch? She could be quite distraught having her young taken away  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 10:33 »
I have a couple of coturnix quail which I hatched successfully with some chucks in the incy, they are brill. really tame and follow me everywhere in the garden, although I know most quail will fly off!

I'm hoping to keep them with her, obviously keeping an eye on her, but just preparing for them to be so small that they cause her a bit of trouble! Goin to an auction tomorrow so may get a couple of day olds if worst come to worst. Like you say joyful she has been ever such a good mum upto now!

I'll keep you informed!

Steve

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 10:50 »
good luck with it all, I got one of my broodies to accept 9 abandoned chicks not long ago. When I put the first one next to her she did go to peck it but I gently taped her beak and then she let it snuggle up to her. This was quickly followed by the rest in batches of twos and threes. You may be able to do yours by just slipping them under at the same time you remove the quail chicks  :D Hopefully she won't see the others being removed  :)

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 07:52 »
Hiya Guys,

5 out of the 7 quail eggs hatched wednesday night/thursday morning. My initial fear was that my silkie wouldn't be able to care for the quail or would end up squashing them! I didn't remove the chicks but kept my eye on her!

Good news, the 5 are all still ok and she is doing an excellent job. She is so careful with the babies as they are so tiny! So it has worked!

She is happy she has her babies joyful :-)

Steve

xx
QUAIL

Started by JANEVANS02 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 29, 2006, 10:46
by Tensing
xx
hi i new have quail

Started by dawn 11 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 14:48
by Yorkie
xx
quail

Started by davidmostyn on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 07, 2007, 11:56
by mdueal
xx
Quail help

Started by coughdrop on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 21:46
by daisy1990

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 39 queries.