Grumpy committee

• 8 Replies

sirgalahad

Grumpy committee
« on: July 26, 2010, 15:50 »
A few of us on our allotment have asked to be able to keep a few hens on our plots.  I must admit I have been stunned by the committees resistance, who in my opinion are grossly over exaggerating problems which may occur.
Does everyone come across this?  Has anyone else had problems?  Are we being unreasonable? I would love to hear from you.

Silkysmooth

Re: Grumpy committee
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 22:22 »
Sirgalahad - Is your allotment council owned or private.

If its council then as long as there is no by laws in the council laws prohbiting chickens then you have a right to keep them under the allotments act.

where approximately is your allotment based.

p.s. I have 20 on my allotment and faced quite a bit of resistance but they could not stop me having them due to the allotments act as law states that I can have them :)

hope that helps! :)

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 13:53 »
See the thread posted after yours  "where do you keep your chickens " by sloegin :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

sirgalahad

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 14:37 »
We have three sites in the midlands near Derby.  One site has had hens for a while now and its never even been mentioned.  The sites are not council sites.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 18:10 »
If they are private sites then I suspect that the owner of the land can decide whatever they want regarding chickens on plots.

Negotiation and information has to be the way forward.  Perhaps some agreed rules re numbers, size of coops, husbandry?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sirgalahad

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 15:27 »
I have tried being reasonable - limiting numbers, size of run etc.  All met with an emphatic `WE DONT WANT THEM UP HERE`!  Even though we already have a run on another of our sites.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 08:57 »
I have tried being reasonable - limiting numbers, size of run etc.  All met with an emphatic `WE DONT WANT THEM UP HERE`! 

They aren't being very constructive! Can you ask for reasons, these would at least give you the opportunity to overcome them ::)

sirgalahad

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 13:44 »
I have asked for reasons - they are afraid of rats,  what the run will look like, how big it will be and neighbours complaining.  All of which I believe can be overcome.

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 08:24 »
I agree they can be overcome. Good luck :)

xx
Grumpy hen

Started by Roba690 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 18:13
by jhub
xx
Grumpy chooks

Started by kittyb on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 04, 2010, 13:40
by IMOmimey

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 31 queries.