Frost protection ?

• 11 Replies

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
Frost protection ?
« on: November 25, 2010, 10:53 »
Hi.
   I have some fruit and plants in pots, namely 4 young Blueberry bushes in 12" pots, a bare rooted Almond tree I have just planted in a 15" pot(only 4ft high), a small rosemary bush in a 12" pot and was wondering if I had to protect them from the winter frosts by wrapping bubble wrap or something similar around them.
 I have read that they are all fully hardy in this country, and that they need no protection, but wasnt sure if that just meant if they were in the ground.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Frost protection ?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 11:48 »
If the freeze lasts for a long while, or is very severe the pots themselves can freeze which can result in dead plants :(

Can you give some idea of where you live? the climate varies considerably within the UK , and the info can help with the answers ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 16:17 »
I would sink them in their pots into the ground ( mmm - have three to do myself) because the soil in the pots will freeze. If they are in the ground but still in their pots the soil around them will offer some protection. As has been said, depends on how low the temp goes.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 16:25 »
Two things will kill even hardy plants; waterlogging (suffocates the roots) and prolonged freezing (plant dehydrates.)

As already said it depends how severe and how prolonged the frost; don't know where you live but this winter isn't looking like a mild one so far................... :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 16:54 »
Two things will kill even hardy plants; waterlogging (suffocates the roots) and prolonged freezing (plant dehydrates.)

As already said it depends how severe and how prolonged the frost; don't know where you live but this winter isn't looking like a mild one so far................... :wacko:

Not a mild one.... course it will be JayG ::) just has to be down here! We don't do cold for long in the south.

I'd stick those pots in the ground somewhere that's free draining and consider a bit of protection around the Almond. My rosemary copes well enough down here... several years old.
(I take cutting just in case..)

Knowing where you are would make a difference :blink:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 17:16 »
Hmmm, what about spring bulbs? :unsure:

I've just planted some daffs and tulips in pots hoping to be able to drop them in to the garden when they're flowering. I'd hate to lose them over the winter.

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 23:14 »
Hmmm, what about spring bulbs? :unsure:

I've just planted some daffs and tulips in pots hoping to be able to drop them in to the garden when they're flowering. I'd hate to lose them over the winter.

Tricky one.... I guess much depends on the size of the pots, what they are made of and how near the bulbs are to the surfaces (top and sides)... as well as temperatures (how long what level of coldness presists)..  :unsure:

But... if the bulbs are not too water-logged for too long they should stand a good blast of cold (I hope!!).

I have planted up wall baskets with a variety of spring bulbs and, although they are hung on the north facing house wall, I'm not anticipating too much of a problem.

If it looks as if the weather might worry your planted pots could you put them in a cold-frame or unheated greenhouse until the worst is over? Or... maybe place a sheet of glass over the top and put a brick on top until the "very cold wet" wears off. 

Carrotcake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 20:48 »
Thanks Learner. I think I'll try some protected and some not to see if it makes a difference.

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 10:43 »
Sorry for the delay in getting back.

Thankyou for the replies

I live near Chester, which is in the north west.... for those that have never heard of it.

I would be better to bring all the pots in the garage in a prolonged cold snap I think. It is cold in there and hasnt got any light at all, but it is frost free.

I`ve taken the almond tree out of its pot, because the pot was to heavy, and put it in the garage for now in the container it came in. I dont want to lose it as it cost a lot of money, so I will have to molly coddle it through to spring.

With it still being november, I expect it will warm up again in a week or two, so they can all go back outside

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 17:07 »
Sounds good to me Mr Evans!!  ;)

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 12:02 »
Have a look at where the plants are from; blueberries grow wild in Canada and cope with 5 months of winter to -30; almonds and rosemary are from southern Europe and the middle East and con cope with a bit of cold but only if not too wet.

Charlie

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 16:48 »
Have a look at where the plants are from; blueberries grow wild in Canada and cope with 5 months of winter to -30; almonds and rosemary are from southern Europe and the middle East and con cope with a bit of cold but only if not too wet.

Charlie

Good advice...

I know nothing about blueberries.... apart from the fact that they are dear to buy in the supermarket!

xx
Frost Protection...

Started by Jay The Digger on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 11:09
by Kristen
xx
frost protection

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 06, 2006, 07:39
by Novice
xx
Frost protection for first earlies?

Started by ConfusedGardener on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 15, 2014, 11:36
by Salmo
xx
Greenhouse frost protection

Started by Dragonfly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 21:58
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 32 queries.