wireworm (?) in my 2nd early potatoes.. Will this affect the others ?

• 6 Replies

Dan78

• Experienced Member
Dug out about 40 2nd early potato plants today and have a massive sack of potatoes.. Neatly couldnt carry it!

The plants had died back a couple of weeks ago (strangely as the other 2nd early variety are still growing) but only managed to dig (3hours worth!!) today.

Near enough every potato has what looks like little pin pricks in. I cut one open to find a tiny little maggot thing inside :(

First question is this wireworm ? How could I have avoided this ?

Second question will it affect my other potatoes ? Ive noticed that a few of the main crop nearby are now looking a little sick (going a little floppy and yellow).

HELP!! Will these become infected ? What should I do now ? I have literally hundreds of plants still in the ground (first, 2nd and maincrop) as my dad went a little overboard with the seed pots!! I would HATE to loose the rest :(

:blink:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Wireworm is common in land recfently covered in grass.  It decreases over a couple of years and as far as I'm aware there is no control available to the amateur gardener.

I'd suggest you try googling 'wireworm' to see if the pictures match what you've got.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Wireworm? Did someone mention wireworm?  :lol: :lol:

When I got my end of last March I was warned it was badly infested with wireworm (no rent for first year because of it, and jumped up the waiting lits about 20 place too  :lol: )

They are the larvae of click beetles, have around a five year life cycle and are hard orangy brown thin grubs around an inch long. They eat holes/tunnels in roots inc potatoes and then sit there munching away.

Advice is:

1. If this is wireworm dig up your spuds as soon as practical to avoid further damage
2. there is no chemical control BUT the best way is to pick out every one you see as you dig, to the point of obsession. (Chickens love 'em -- they are hard to squash  :lol: though)
3. Your potatoes may well have trapped most of them already, and so lessened the problem
4. Don't give up -- you will win  :D :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Salmo

If you are really lucky the wireworms make small holes and the slugs hollow them out.
Good advice from sunshine.

TheSpartacat

I'm anticipating similar wireworm issues in my potatoes. Took on an allotment that was overgrown 20yrs and came across 100s of the little blighters as i dug... (dispatched with each one as i came across them, but bound to have missed quite a few!)

They say sowing mustard as a green manure helps clear the ground of wireworm. The wireworm can't resist it... it interupts their breeding cycle and you pull up the mustard and get rid of the little blighters with it...

Also, wherever you're intending to sow potatoes next year- cut some potatoes in half and spear them with a stick and bury them (the stick is so you can find where you buried them).... you then pull up the potatoes at the end of summer and you're taking the wire worm out too.

If you keep cultivating and trying these green manures and potato lures you should eventually clear the little beasties out.
Won't help this years crop though, but hopefully some will be salvageable?!

Dan78

• Experienced Member
Thanks you all for the replies! My allotment had been grass for about 20 years until I got it in December so sort of explains that!

On closer inspection it seems that most potatos have holes in but these are only a few mm deep and can be cut out! I think maybe the one i cut at the allotment may have had a baby snail crawl into the hole and thats what i saw!

Think I will dig up the rest of the first and 2nd earlies asap and get the main crop out as soon as they look to be dying down!

Thanks again for the advice :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
If you find  any though try Spartacat's suggestion with potato kebabs -- it works well  :D

Leve them in place about 10 days ideally  :D :D

xx
what veg does aminopyralid have the most affect on?

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 22, 2010, 11:28
by paintedlady
xx
Can a plant pot affect soil pH?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 13, 2018, 10:51
by Goosegirl
xx
grass frost.will it affect my spuds?

Started by Carollan on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 21:17
by DD.
xx
early potatoes

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 21:36
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 33 queries.