bees

• 4 Replies

gillybee

bees
« on: June 11, 2007, 00:39 »
Hi all, can anyone tell me the best way to get rid of a bees nest please?
I have 2, one in my garden shed at home and the other one in my back garden. Kepp getting stung. Pain in the butt.
Just need to get rid.
Asked council but they want payment of £147 per nest, Cant aford that. Can anyone? £294 ha! I dont think so.

:twisted:
Hi all, I hope you have bean working hard on your plot the way I do.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
bees
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 07:54 »
If they are honey bees, you could find your local beekeepers group ,a member would come and collect them and give them a new home.
Good Luck
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

Sheena

• Experienced Member
bees
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 09:20 »
Jjust found this on the internet;
First, check if what you have are bees or wasps. This may sound rather obvious, but it is an easy mistake to make. Wasps and honeybees are about the same size, but wasps have alternating black and bright yellow body stripes. Honeybees are brown, with paler brown or dirty yellow bands on the body. Bumblebees are furry.

A beekeeper might be interested in removing a nest of honeybees, but not wasps or bumblebees (see below). However please don't be deluded into thinking you are doing a beekeeper a favour by offering them the chance of a 'free' nest of bees for the trouble of removing it. The time and trouble involved in removing a wild bee nest successfully usually far outweighs any benefit to the beekeeper. In addition a colony of bees of unknown origin may be carrying pests or disease and a beekeeper is unlikely to want to introduce these to otherwise healthy bees in their apiary. If you feel compelled to try and locate a local beekeeper to help you, then please refer to our list of contacts for Local Associations. However, please don't be surprised, or offended, if they turn you down - beekeepers are NOT a free pest control service!

If that doesn't work, perhaps try a private pest control firm, the council's charge sounds very excessive to me, we payed about 50 quid 3 years ago to get rid of a wasps nest (in London!), I would imagine the procedure is similar for getting rid of bees.

hope this helps
Organic :)

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
bees
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 13:48 »
Are the bees inside the shed?
Wasp nests are a papery construction and much more common than wild bees.
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

Trillium

bees
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 22:08 »
Sheena's 2nd quote is mostly likely what will happen. Beekeepers simply won't take them due to a multitude of viruses these days.

Wait until evening when the hive is inside and spray with a wasp killer, and quickly plug the hole. Sad to to but it's impossible to know what you're dealing with.

xx
bees

Started by bridgeford on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 11, 2007, 19:46
by muntjac
xx
help with bees !!

Started by karma22 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 13:55
by kevinp
smiley
Bees

Started by Enfield Glen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2015, 10:16
by NewSteve
xx
bees

Started by delboyal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2006, 20:20
by delboyal

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 28 queries.