yay new greenhouse

• 19 Replies

freyaluck

yay new greenhouse
« on: December 28, 2006, 13:06 »
yay just been told I can pick up my free  Greenhouse on saturday morning :D  :D  :D   8x6 ft so not too small lol, just hop the weathers ok, coz I have to dismantle it :shock: Now need to decide where it going and what to put in it, It'll be in the garden as not allowed em up the lottie site.
Don't you just lurve freecycle!
Best Christmas pressie I got.    What is the best ground cover for me greenhouse, do I just put straight on the ground and put a few paving slabs inside or do I need a proper base.   Will also hopefully putting up the shed this weekend, its been sat there for about 6 months in bits :oops:
Spent boxing day up the plot digging and tidying, met a lovely lady called dot, who is much more helpful than the warden :?  she's had her plot for 18 years :shock:    she is getting me a load more mannure delivered and also told me we get ash for thr plot free from a local chimney sweep :)     I am pretty sure my plot is twice the size I thought :shock:  :shock:  :shock:   so now have half a plot of couch grass to deal with also and a tiny rotten shed.   I have planned where all my raised beds are going, but will need to move my strawberry plants, and should be able to work round mu onoins that seem to be doing really well.
right best stop rambling
Frey

shaun

yay new greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 18:21 »
john wrote this one about his famous greenhouse experence he dont mention time scale much though  :wink:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles/Second_Hand_Greenhouse.php
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

noshed

yay new greenhouse
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 23:06 »
Zen and the art of greenhouse construction - think about a spirit level...
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
yay new greenhouse
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 09:17 »
Quote from: "shaun"
john wrote this one about his famous greenhouse experence he dont mention time scale much though  :wink:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles/Second_Hand_Greenhouse.php

Rome wasn't built in a day!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

shaun

yay new greenhouse
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 10:23 »
wouldnt fancy fiddling with all those tiny nuts and bolts at this time of year rather you than me frey,but saying that ive just been out in the car and it read 11 degrees on the dashboard  :?

freyaluck

yay new greenhouse
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 13:21 »
cheers for the info link .
We need to take it down first, which will be fun :?   Hope the wind dies down before tomorrow morning otherwise i think I will have a big problem on my hands :cry:   Help!!!!!!!!!    Its blowing a gale outside at he mo, so might have to reschedule - if thats ok with the lady I am getting it off.    I will have to go out to the garden today and level off the ground and find something for a base, have tons of willow , but don't think that will help somehow :shock:
spirit level yep have one of them (though probably needs a new bubble :wink: )  now for all the other bits umm let me think think a trip to b&q is in order.
Oh this is going to be fun I have a hacking cold and the gales show no sign of subsiding, think I will need a week of bed rest afterwards. haha I wish.
so how long do I give myself a day or a year probably the later hehe.
right off to face the wind and sort the base out.    This is gonna be a disaster
Frey

milkman

yay new greenhouse
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 16:41 »
If you have to dismantle and re-assemble I wouldn't worry about re-assembling at this stage - concentrate efforts and energy into intelligent dismantling, re-assembly can happen (a) when you're feeling better (b) when weather is better.  My advice for dismantling - follow John's tips - if you have a digi camera take lots of photos from inside and outside including plenty of close up shots, also invent and use a numbering system for all the bits, mark them all with permanent marker pen and draw lots of diagrams.  

Then re-assembly will be a doddle*, whether next week or in 6 months time.

The bases for both my greenhouses were constructed using metal fence post stake thingys and 3by4 (or 4by5 I can't remember which) bits of wood.

(*ok, this is stretching the truth a bit!)
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

milkman

yay new greenhouse
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 16:43 »
ps it's also important to note down/remember the order in which you dismantle the greenhouse 'cause re-assembly will generally be in the opposite order.  Doing this will save you having to take the roof off three times to get the door in, for example.

freyaluck

yay new greenhouse
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 19:44 »
well
the green house is now in my back garden, thankfully the weather held off was rather nice actually and the greenhouse came down pretty easily.   Only one bit of cracked glass on the way home so not bad by mt reckoning, it's pretty oldstyle, but hey I got a greenhouse so who cares, the couple were lovely and cups of tea were plentiful :D   which jon the other half was over the moon about :lol:
A lovely little pair of robbins were always close by and very friendly they were too,often only a couple of feet away from us.  
will pop up a photo of the greenhouse and the robin when i have figured out how to get the darn thing to put pics on the comp - they're not very good friends and hate working together :roll:
had a good nap this arvo so feeling slight more with it,
best go and have a read of the other posts
Hugs
Frey

freyaluck

yay new greenhouse
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 10:52 »
heres the photos
 this is the greenhouse
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=382

and this is one of the robins
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=381
for some reason img wont work so here are the links to my photo album
frey

muntjac

yay new greenhouse
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 10:59 »
i got one like that its a 8 x 10 with the staging as well ,great freebies or what .. if you want to heat it go round all the window frames with silicon sealant to cut out leaks . add poly bubble wrap and away with ya little heater  :wink:
still alive /............

shaun

yay new greenhouse
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 11:53 »
bit of advice from me.
if you are tall like me raise it up as much as can on railway sleepers or concrete blocks to give you a lot more head room  :wink:
theres nowt worse than stooping.

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=311

muntjac

yay new greenhouse
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 12:11 »
shaun .little short hairy legs do not make you tall its just the size of your wendy house that makes you think it.. chuctchy face  :wink:

milkman

yay new greenhouse
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 12:16 »
tall shaun has forgotten to add his ps. about not siting the greenhouse right up next to other buildings eg. sheds if you want to be able to glaze the greenhouse with ease...

muntjac

yay new greenhouse
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 12:18 »
ah milkman ,see he is so twee he can squeeze through those little gaps .all round access also makes the sun shine on it more or so they say ?

xx
Greenhouse

Started by ANGEL_S on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 05:55
by paintedlady
xx
Greenhouse

Started by Tykelad on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 17:19
by kermit
xx
Greenhouse

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 13:25
by 8doubles
xx
greenhouse bed

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2012, 21:24
by DD.

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 29 queries.