What to look for in a new allotment

• 38 Replies

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
What to look for in a new allotment
« on: October 28, 2022, 17:05 »
Hi guys! I've been a lurker on here for years but have now joined the club since I've been offered an allotment. My question is what to look for and consider when I get taken for a look around the allotment site. My house backs onto the allotments so ideally, I'm hoping to get that allotment but I very much doubt that. Because I live near I know several of the allotment holders who have already told me which plots to avoid. I know where the tap is so that already ticks a box. I was just wondering if there are certain things which people don't think about when choosing an allotment, and then later regret. Thanks for your input :-)

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: What to look for in a new allotment
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 19:05 »
vikingraider, I don't have advice on the subject, but I did want to say welcome! 

[No advice because I am growing on my own property instead of an allotment]
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 19:11 »
Lucky if you get one with a shed.... obviously!
I think they look nice when plots are already set out in beds, but then you always seem to be cutting grass edges. Perhaps better if it's one big growing area so you can decide how to divide it up, so it suits you?

Are there any fruit bushes growing, could save a fortune if you don't have to buy them...

Try to work out which plots get shaded by trees in Summer, you don't want a plot that is completely shaded, but some shade for leafy crops can help in a hot year.
Whichever you choose, enjoy it and good luck  :)

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 19:28 »
Thanks for the welcome and replies :-) Like I said, in an ideal world I'd like one of the 2 allotments which back on to my house, then I could just put a gate in and don't have to have a shed there! But I know the chaps who have those so that's not going to happen. You're right mumofstig, a shed is a must, I was hoping for a greenhouse too! Probably being greedy. I heard some allotment holders talking to a new guy on the site. The council had cleared half the plot, he'd taken it on, then got snotty letters form the authority asking about when he was going to clear the rubbish! The only large tree on the site is on one of the plots that back on to my house so I know the rest are pretty much shade free. Unless the plot I'm offered is close to the tap, I think I'll wait for another offer on the site. Is this unreasonable or sensible?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2022, 19:43 »
On our list if you don't accept one of the ones on offer (or perhaps just the one, if that's the only one empty) then you go to the bottom of the list  :ohmy: So you'd better find out how your list works before refusing...

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 19:55 »
Access
Shade
Water
Weeds - what type
Existing planting - what you'd like and what's there
What you want to grow

Sounds as though you will have already thought of this, but your reference to putting a gate into a plot behind your house raises a few queries, such as what the nature of the boundary is (wall, fence etc.) and who owns it. Also whether putting a gate in will cause structural issues for the rest of the wall (it happened on our allotment site, and the wall had to be buttressed along multiple plots).

Completely agree with the advice to find out how many plots you may be offered before going to the bottom of the list, before you turn any down.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 19:56 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2022, 14:34 »
Oh, the barrier between my garden and one plot is knee high corrugated iron sheeting and on the other plot is waist high concrete posts(the ones council's used to use, that are buried almost to the earth's core) with wire so a gate wouldnt be much of an issue. At the end of the day i could just step over it lol. I'll ask about whether  waiting for a different plot would put me to the bottom of the list again

jaydig

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2022, 15:45 »
If there is a choice, perhaps take a look at the neighbouring plots and see if they are well kept.  It's soul destroying trying to keep your own plot tidy and productive if you are constantly battling weeds caused by your neighbour's lack of enthusiasm.  Obviously, of course, having taken all the points previously raised already.

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 10:59 »
Hi guys. Just an update, the plot I've been offered isn't the one I was after; however, I'm still thinking of going ahead. The soil around here is heavy clay, and it was quite boggy when I had a look this morning. Sadly, the plot had no shed or greenhouse :-( I'll post some pics hopefully tomorrow and I'd appreciate it if you guys could let me know what you think
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 11:06 by vikingraider »

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2022, 11:35 »
Might be worth asking if you are allowed to swap when another comes available, but that’s a bit of a chance, like waiting for dead man’s shoes. Personally if I really wanted a plot I’d take what was offered & make the best of it
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2022, 17:09 »
A few pics of the plot I've been offered. Any alarm bells ringing with anyone?
OYYG1625.JPG
CUSI5715.JPG
MRPE1681.JPG
TEMY1254.JPG
DCNU0278.JPG

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2022, 17:30 »
All looks good to me  :D

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2022, 17:41 »
Looks good, good luck  :D

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2022, 19:27 »
Should be good. I would cut all the weeds etc down and make a nice big compost pile with enough browns, cover it and turn it a couple or more times over the next couple of months, with a mild winter you might have some decent compost come spring. And maybe put a double layer of corrugated cardboard over the weedy beds held down with stones and cover with compost/well rotted manure if you can . Then also find recipes for kale, looks like you have quite a bit  :D

Bryan and carol

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2022, 15:56 »
You are spoilt for choice, they all look very usable !

On our site newcomers normally end up with a plot or half plot that nobody else wants, and if they survive a year or two, they get promoted once a better garden becomes available. Ratio of number of people on waiting list to gardens currently near  2 with an 11 year wait.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 15:59 by Bryan and carol »

xx
New allotment

Started by robmac on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 22, 2008, 17:09
by Yorkie
xx
Allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 18, 2016, 20:13
by AnnieB
xx
still no allotment but

Started by vegikev on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 19:51
by vegikev
xx
A new allotment

Started by fjace5 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 22:23
by Nogger

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 45 queries.