my first eggs!!!

• 32 Replies

SMS6

Re: my first eggs!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 15:46 »
Im loving it, just collecting egg based recepies, Ive just got the one laying so far (maybe itll spurr the other 2 one) but so far a regular 2 eggs a day, they started out quite small, but todays 2 have been a "normal" size.

Ive saved yesterdays, so its scrambled for tea today!!

I didn't know a hen can lay more than one a day - can they?   if so do they lay two at once or is there a time lapse.  I'm just wondering if the 2 we had on Sunday could have come from one hen then? 

timtheenchanteruk

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 16:26 »
a couple of hours in between, I go down about 8:00, and the first one is there, and still warm,  the next arrives somewhere around 11:00, Im pretty sure its the same chuck, they are almost identical in colour etc, and, from what the breeder said when I got them, the gold star would start to lay first, and would lay the most, the black star and bluebell a week or 2 after.

Ive had them 3 weeks, they are now all 21 weeks.
From what I can gather (please feel free to correct if its wrong) that younger birds can lay 2-3 eggs a day until they settle down into "normal" production.

Id be quite happy with one a day from each my ladies, it would give an egg based meal every other day for my lot.

SMS6

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 19:42 »
a couple of hours in between, I go down about 8:00, and the first one is there, and still warm,  the next arrives somewhere around 11:00, Im pretty sure its the same chuck, they are almost identical in colour etc, and, from what the breeder said when I got them, the gold star would start to lay first, and would lay the most, the black star and bluebell a week or 2 after.

Ive had them 3 weeks, they are now all 21 weeks.
From what I can gather (please feel free to correct if its wrong) that younger birds can lay 2-3 eggs a day until they settle down into "normal" production.

Id be quite happy with one a day from each my ladies, it would give an egg based meal every other day for my lot.

Well I'm puzzled now then maybe my young hybrid is laying two and the Marran isn't laying at all?   We know the Sussex is laying a white egg every other day but then alternate days there have been two brown eggs close together - one normal size and one small

I shall have to keep my eyes open as to who goes in when

andy and deb

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 21:44 »
we have 4 hens , 2 have started laying but the other two are still thinking about it .. its the best part of my day going out to the coop to see if there is anything in the nest box , me and the wife were giddy last week when our first egg appeared .. so far we have had 7 .. since last friday .. and they taste lovely

andy and deb

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 22:00 »
And congrats on your first eggs by the way ...

terri

• 1st egg
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 05:33 »
if the eggs are only a few hours apart its 2 different hens
4 children, 1 hubby, 2 g,pigs, 1 gecko 3 hens, 2 fish,2 cats

timtheenchanteruk

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 15:42 »
yay, my bluebell (Tallulah) has started laying today, 3 eggs...(in total)

couldnt get in to collect the eggs first thing, as she was sat there hogging the next box (there are 2, but one seems to be favoured right now...

SMS6

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 12:56 »
Babs - the sussex has decided she quite likes this egg laying lark so has started to lay daily rather than every other day. 

She came out of the nest box this morning full of herself, rosey loudly as if to tell us how clever she was.

Maybe she was boasting to the other two

mummyhen61

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 19:59 »
Well, Congratulations to all you first time egg collectors!  Our girls are only 17 weeks this weekend, so we're still waiting, but looking forward to the first one - whenever that will be!  :)

brick22

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 20:13 »
My Black Rock laid her first egg today (after a softee a few days ago), wow, it was a great feeling.
Not long to go now mummyhen61, it really will be worth the wait :nowink:
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown

Raven81

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 20:33 »
My OH found our first eggs this morning - 3 of them! I'm a bit annoyed as I'm the one that sees to them three times a day and hes's been out to them maybe three times in total ever, yet he found the eggs!! I weighed them and two are 1.4 ounces and one is 1.2 ounces so when they lay properly it looks like we'll have good sized eggs!!
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

brick22

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 21:39 »
HaHaHa Raven81, are you sure he didn't buy them??!! :D  Don't mean to hijack this thread, but just quickly, hows your Rottie with your girls? We have a 4 year old and she is a complete nightmare!!

Raven81

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 21:45 »
My rottie is 9 and a bit of an old man - he completely ignores the hens, I seem to have odd animals that all ignore each other, one of the cats sleeps on top of the hamster cage and hasn't been hunting yet!

brick22

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 21:50 »
mmmmmm, only another 4 years til we reach a dog/hen equilibrium :wacko:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2011, 07:36 »
my neapolitan mastiff ignores our hens now (she used to give them a chase until she reached 3 - not to catch and kill but just to annoy me) and our 10 year old Newfoundland cross only chases them when they come into the house to nick her food  :).
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
4 Eggs already!!! : )

Started by Dawnuss on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 07:44
by tosca100
xx
Eggs :D

Started by Chicken star on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post December 08, 2010, 07:38
by Chicken star
xx
First eggs

Started by Mutemonster on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 21:12
by gillian62
xx
First eggs

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 07:36
by Casey76

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 29 queries.