autumn raspberries fruited in summer now nothing

• 6 Replies

andyf75

• Experienced Member
autumn raspberries fruited in summer now nothing
« on: September 09, 2014, 10:25 »
Hi all,

I planted some of these a couple of years ago. I think they are polka. Cut them back last winter as you're supposed to and there was strong growth this year but they fruited early in summer and there wasn't much fruit. Now we're in autumn and they are finished. Have I possibly not got autumn fruiting afterall?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: autumn raspberries fruited in summer now nothing
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 10:40 »
Have I possibly not got autumn fruiting afterall?

If you remove all the canes that have fruited (still have the little "fruit core" on them, where you picked the fruit, if you have removed all the canes they are Autumn fruiting, if only 50% (say) then they are summer fruiting.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 10:41 »
Polka appear to be a variety which can produce two small crops in the same year, which is very confusing for those still struggling to understand the difference between autumn and summer fruiting varieties!  :unsure:

As is often the case, I can't suggest anything better than reading THIS RHS ARTICLE.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Headgardener22

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 14:48 »
I've got Polka and they're fruiting now. I cut down most of the canes (as you're supposed to) but leave one cane from each plant which gives me a small crop earlier in the year.

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 19:41 »
i can't help with your variety but i've had issues with some canes i put in last year (not sure on variety as the person i brought them off didn't know).

i got fruit mid to late summer year from planting early spring. i cut all the ones that had cropped down, leaving next to nothing left. i thought i made a mistake as there was nothing left, and i was assuming they were a summer variety.

i let these small canes grow this year, which produced fruit early summer/ late spring. while they were cropping new canes romped up these have now been producing a large amount of fruit. i now have small canes growing up. adding to my confusion.

my plan this year is cut back the main large fruited canes and leave the small ones. i'm hoping they may produce 2 crops next year (spring and autumn).

i will keep people informed how it goes next spring.

i've given up trying to understand whats going on, if i can do the same every year and get 2 crops i'll be happy regardless whether i understand whats going on.

LotuSeed

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 23:34 »
I have two everbearing varieties, Heritage and Fall Gold. They both produced early in the summer and are at it again now. The fruit the ripened early in the summer grew off of canes from last year. Once they were finished producing, I cut them back to an inch or two and let the green primocanes take over. Those are now giving me my fall crop Yum. When the primocanes are finished fruiting at the end of Autumn, I leave them alone until early next spring. Come springtime I'll cut last years primocanes back to about 8 inches or so. When things warm up and start turning green, new growth will shoot out from the old cane and produce blossoms for early summer berries. At the same time brand new shoots will pop up from the ground and will be totally green. (Not green shoots on brown cane, just green). These totally green shoots are what will produce the year's Autumn crop.  It helps tremendously if you cut the canes right after they finish fruiting in early summer. It's easier to tell the difference between the ones to cut back and the ones to let grow because of their coloring.
I hope that helps!
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 11:10 »
Great advice, LotuSeed  :D

xx
“ autumn” raspberries all fruited in summer

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 25, 2020, 05:41
by Growster...
xx
Raspberries fruited in summer and new canes are fruiting now??

Started by Triangle cottage on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 08, 2022, 13:02
by mumofstig
xx
Autumn or summer raspberries?

Started by mrswashi on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 04, 2012, 20:40
by mrswashi
xx
raspberries -summer or autumn?

Started by Buddleja on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 16, 2013, 20:25
by Buddleja

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 39 queries.