Finally !

• 24 Replies

nickiit2003

Finally !
« on: April 03, 2012, 19:38 »
I've finally managed to get my girls, was hoping to get some purebreeds but I was getting too impatient to wait any longer so I've got 6 lovely hybrids - 1 x Black Rock, 1 x Columbian Black Tail, 1 x White LeghornX, 1 x Light SussexX, 2 x Bluebells.

I'm looking to add a Wellsummer and a Cream Legbar in a couple of months when the breeder says they will be ready.

Barabell - Black Rock
Snowball - Light Sussex X
Peigi - Leghorn X
Clarabell - Columbian Black Tail
Bluebelle & Floraidh - Bluebelles

1 Golden Danio and 2 Zebra Danios

Trying to persuade hubby to get me a Border Terrier

bantam novice

Re: Finally !
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 20:35 »
what a lovely flock  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

helens-hens

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 20:43 »
They are lovely. I know what you mean about finding the patience to get pure breds - I am trying to hang on a couple of months to do the same but its hard!
Your hybrids look great though, I am envious!
Helen

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 20:44 »
pretty birds, and you can get some pure breeds at a later date  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 23:00 »
Keep that picture to remind you of want grass looks like  :D

nickiit2003

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 23:06 »
Got a bakers crate to put some turf in for the girls to have a lawn when the grass is gone from the run.

Thinking about using wood bark chips on top of slabs but not 100%, any suggestions? It won't be long till I need to sort out the flooor of the run.

nickiit2003

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 08:06 »
Got my first egg this morning, I'm well chuffed  8)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 08:08 »
woohoo!!
I remember getting my first egg - I had a stupid grin on my face for days  :D

nickiit2003

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 08:27 »
Yeah, I'm kinda like that myself. Keep looking at it and I can't bring myself to cook it, lol. I suppose when I feel peckish I will.

nickiit2003

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 08:35 »
One of my girls has a dirty bum caused with soft poop and is making a little noise. Is this likely to be due to the stress of moving (they were barn raised) and should I be doing anything for her today other than cleaning her bum? Would I be better putting some garlic or ACV in their drinking water?

They had some layers pellets and a few mealworms last night to help them settle, water was just plain.

questions already  :lol:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 11:22 »
They look really happy in their new set up.

You can give her a warm water bath in a washing up bowl to clean her bum.  Make sure you gently dry her with a towel and then a hairdryer set on warm/cool.  With the weather being cold don't have her back out until she is thoroughly dry.

Best to have your feeders and drinkers off the ground either suspended or on bricks.  This stops them fouling in them.

If you are going to have some chippings I would suggest you board about 1 foot high at the bottom of your run as the hens will scatter it all over and out of the run.  It will also work as a bit of a wind break for them.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

nickiit2003

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 12:03 »
thanks for that ANHBUC. I have some perspex wind breakers under the coop, have some left over so will use that along one side and then will get something for the other sides.  :)

How long should I keep them in the run before I let them out for supervised free range time? I was hoping to spend some time with them this week in the run so that they are familiar with me and get them used to being handled.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:10 by nickiit2003 »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 14:15 »
I found it best to just let them out for a short time just before they would go in their coop for the night.  It save a lot of chasing and rounding up.  Just have some corn or meal worms handy to tempt any obstinate ones back in their run.

Does your run have a roof?  If not you will need to keep their feed under cover as it will get damp and go off quickly.  I have an old table about 1 m square in the enclosure and have hung a feeder under it.  I have another feeder in the covered run attached to their coop so that the lowest in the pecking order has a chance to get some food.

I am waiting in for a delivery of wood for making a walk in run so my hubby will be busy this weekend!  :lol:  Yours looks really well made was it a kit or did you make it yourself?

Mrs.Apron

• Wearing my apron with pride! :)
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 16:24 »
Oh, what absolute beauties! :)  I noticed you fancy getting a border terrier too.  We've got a 9 year old, he's lovely.  A bit nutty, but lovely anyway! :)
No sense in being pessimistic It wouldn’t work anyway.

nickiit2003

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 22:00 »
ANHBUC - Yeah we have a full roof on our run and it was my FIL who built it for us. I think I'll let them get used to me this week and then let them out for a short while before sundown as you suggested, thanks :)

Mrs Apron - My last dog was a Border Terrier, I've been dog free for almost 3 yrs and it's killing me. Hubby says we can't get a dog as it would mean that we couldn't go away abroad on holidays without relying on someone to look after it (neither of us like using kennels), but he's going to lose that arguement now that I have the chickens, lol. Borders are fantastic dogs and many people admired my little one, Brannigan, a few people offered to buy him from me as well but there was no way I would part with him. Hoping that hubby see's sense soon, if not I might just have to pack his bags  :lol: :lol: :lol:

xx
Finally...

Started by fd01 on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 21:51
by fd01
xx
Finally

Started by chuckmad on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 17:17
by chuckmad
clip
yaay finally got my first egg!

Started by traacyken on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 21:11
by nerdle
xx
can we come in, we finally took the plunge

Started by Beetroot queen on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 07:54
by Beetroot queen

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 33 queries.