shell less eggs and partly shelled eggs

• 4 Replies

symonep

• Experienced Member
shell less eggs and partly shelled eggs
« on: May 20, 2012, 21:18 »
I have a brown hen (cant remember the breed  ::)). Last year she started laying shell less eggs constantly so we tried adding more grit but it didnt make a difference. she has since almost stopped laying altogether but will often go in to roost as if she is laying. Every now and then she will lay an egg with part of the shell at either end of the egg and the shell missing in the middle. I read on here to try a calcium tablet to i will get some tomorrow and see if that helps.

She seems to be a little odd at times and will sit all puffed up, a few months ago she just stood in the same spot for about 5 hours, we gave her some anti biotics and the next day she was as right as rain. when i pick her up she has a bald breast bone but you cant see it is she is standing up and the skin is flakey. She eats and drinks well and I will worm her this week just in case although there are no signs of her having worms. The other 2 laying hens lay perfect eggs  (the is 2 years old)
Anyone come across this and do you think some extra calcium will help?
Thanks
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: shell less eggs and partly shelled eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 09:04 »
grit is not for the shells it is to help them grind their food up. They need a form of calcium for their shells and this is usually given as crushed oyster shell.
If she is laying soft shelled or shell-less eggs then she will be off colour and appear hunched up - this is because it is very difficult for them to pass the egg along inside them.
Staffies are softer than you think.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 11:50 »
thanks joyfull, would ypu recomment we give her some calcium as they have oyster shell but i am not sure how much of it she gets as there are 6 greedy hens in there. (obviously i am guessing not enough  :blush:)

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 13:03 »
If you have the oystershell in a separate pot in the run all the time, the hen will eat what she needs.

Just make sure the bits of shell aren't too big!  The last bag of oystershell I opened had really big flakes in, so I basked them with a hammer until they were more manageable to eat!

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 19:42 »
Hey Casey, i brough them some today from pets at home as i was passing and the shell is huge, i bashed some up with a rolling pin  ??? will stick a pot full in their area and hope she will eat some. will let you know if this does the job
Thanks

xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
Soft Shelled Eggs

Started by Chook Chook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 15:55
by Chook Chook
xx
Still getting some thin shelled eggs!

Started by Penny Finn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2008, 21:58
by Aunt Sally
question
Soft Shelled Eggs???

Started by leggygirls on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 14:49
by leggygirls

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 41 queries.