injured chick

• 4 Replies

prrose

injured chick
« on: June 27, 2012, 07:59 »
HI

have a 4 week old chick witha hole in her neck which was inflicted by the other chicks, she has been seen by a vet who gave me bayril and some cream to put on, it did scab but came open again yesterday, it is nasty and I dont seem to be able to post pics on here keep saying they are too big but I have made them smaller,

not sure if this hole is going to heal have been told that chickens heal well but she is so young, she is eating and drinking well and running around, vet didnt give her much hope on the day I took her in she was eating or drinking so I syringed her water and food and the next day she really perked up and started feeding herself

any advice would be very welcome, I will try and do some pics later

thanks

pauline

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: injured chick
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 08:05 »
It sounds as though you need to resize your photos. Some help on posting pics here:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=19476.msg100026#msg100026

If you are using an iPad, you can't attach directly and you will need to use a hosting site such as photobucket.

:)

"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

splash101

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 08:08 »
Have you seperated it from the others? It will have a better chance of recovery if the scab isn't  being picked at by the others

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 11:48 »
It is better if the wound is open if there is some infection/poison still in.  Keep the wound clean and keep using the cream and baytril.  The vet will usually prescribe more without needing another consultation.  As splash101 said it might be best if you can separate the chick until the wound heals more.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

prrose

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 12:45 »
Hi

she is on her own seperated her straight away, she can see the others so doesnt feel too alone, the day is happened really thought she wouldnt make it, syringed her with water and food through the day and the next day she was so perky, the wound has dried and scabbed today so will just keep it clean and see how we go, she is eating and drinking on her own so fingers crossed she will come through this

thanks for your replies

xx
Injured chick

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 21, 2013, 08:39
by Sassy
xx
Normal chick behaviour after their sister chick dies?

Started by Katrishwa on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2011, 22:11
by Katrishwa
xx
guess what breed this chick is - MY WHITE PEACOCK CHICK

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 11:16
by CMFAM
xx
MY INJURED HEN

Started by JMF on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 15:22
by kegs

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 39 queries.