eggs

• 5 Replies

Blackers

eggs
« on: June 26, 2012, 18:23 »
I have three birds & in the last couple of days have found that perhaps one of them has started breaking and eating the contents of a laid egg.  Is this usual behaveour and is there any advice how to stop it. 

viettaclark

Re: eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 23:35 »
Have you found tell-tale signs? Or is it that you are getting less eggs?
Just asking because hens will usually eat the whole egg, shell and all if they are egg eaters.
If it is a hen egg-eating (and not a rat or magpie or one girl off lay) then you must break it of the habit immediately.
Best way is to remove the eggs quickly and substitute china eggs (hurts their beaks) or some people use a blown eggshell/bought hollow egg and put in a little mustard or chilli paste.
That can put them off trying it again!
I'm sure other people will come up with other methods.

splash101

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 07:57 »
I wonder if they are laying thin shelled eggs that have broken and they are eating them to remove any evidence.

Im getting a broken egg daily at the minute. Mine are partially moulting which is what i think is causing the thinner shells (its only affecting 1), that comnined with all the jostling in the nest box its little wonder we get a broken one.
Sometimes they will eat it straight away and sometimes if i see its cracked i will throw it to them. They dont eat the others though.

I''ve found if i make their layers pellets into a porridge, they eat more that way which improves the shell. Oyster shell and grit is always available but they dont seem to touch it

Blackers

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 08:52 »
Yes Ive seen the evidence twice and seen a hen pecking at the contents. They dont eat the shell and the shell is not particularly thin, Ive seperated them this morning in an attempt to find the culprit

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 09:24 »
in which case you may need to either buy or make roll-away nest boxes which will stop the eater from getting to the eggs.
Staffies are softer than you think.

grinling

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 16:13 »
how old is she? has she got access to oyster shell and greens?

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 29 queries.