Injured hen, please help

• 9 Replies

Ruby Red

Injured hen, please help
« on: August 08, 2008, 18:27 »
At tea time when I let the hens out for a roam, they all come tonking out and the bantams get knocked over sometimes by the warrans. Im assuming that one of my siver wyandottes have suffered the same fate because she has developed a limp. She isnt ill, theres deffo something wrong with her leg. Her leg just hangs when you pick her up and her toes are a bit chilly. When you bend the leg as it should do something clicks like its dislocated. She still tries to run to the food and she doesnt seem too distressed. The thing Im asking is , if I took her to the vet would they be able to click the leg back if it is a dislocation. It seems such a shame to dispatch her when she doesnt seem to be suffering. Please could someone advice me. Shes been like this for 4 days.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Injured hen, please help
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 18:36 »
is the area swolen and hot/warm?  if so could indicate a break or infection other than that I can't be of any help, sorry

hope she gets better soon though  :)

agapanthus

Injured hen, please help
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 19:41 »
If you can afford to go to the vet then it probably would be best to take her. Otherwise....this is from Muntjac.....'gently pick her up by the legs and let her hang there for a couple of seconds and then turn her over and gently press her legs towards her body....to see if this manages to put it back in place'........I hope this helps.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Injured hen, please help
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 19:44 »
Never a dull day with Munty around eh?  :lol:

agapanthus

Injured hen, please help
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 20:05 »
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"
Never a dull day with Munty around eh?  :lol:

you're right there!!!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bodger

Injured hen, please help
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 20:20 »
I know this is the only word that I seem  to be able to say but the symptoms you describe suggest Mareks rather than an injury.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Injured hen, please help
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 21:23 »
I'm afraid that's what I was thinking too Bodger  :(

Roughlee Handled

Injured hen, please help
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 21:31 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
I know this is the only word that I seem  to be able to say but the symptoms you describe suggest Mareks rather than an injury.
 Are you talking about Marek's Disease?  
Marek's Disease

Marek's disease is a herpes virus-induced neoplastic disease of chickens characterized by tumor formations in nerve, organ, muscle and epithelial tissue with pleomorphic lymphoid cells. Affects chickens 2 to 16 weeks of age, stresses from other disease increase severity of MD. Herpes virus is cell associated and shed in skin scales and feather dander.

Birds remain viremic for life but infected carriers may or may not be clinically ill. vaccination protects against tumor formation but not against MD infection. Occurrence is world wide wherever poultry is produced. Transmission is primarily by air within the poultry house, in feather dander, chicken house dust, feces and saliva. Infected birds carry virus in blood for life and are a source of infection to susceptible birds. Transmission by egg is of no significance.

Clinical signs "gray eye" caused by tumors in the pupils and blindness, tumors of the liver, kidneys spleen, gonads, pancreas, lungs, muscles and skin. Birds develop tumors, emaciation and death. Diagnosis is based on history of no vaccination, presence of typical tumor pattern and affected birds.

There is no treatment. Prevention is by vaccination at the hatchery, but vaccination only prevents tumor formation, not MD infection. All Marek's Disease vaccine must include HVT.

http://www.ruleworks.co.uk/poultry/Mareks-Disease.htm
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Jellyhead

Injured hen, please help
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 21:36 »
:shock:  :shock: Blimey :shock:  :shock: I hope its not that then. Good luck Roobs.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Ruby Red

Injured hen, please help
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 23:41 »
Thanks for all your replies. I did have a Silkie that died of Mareks and she behaved differently. I think Ill give the vet a call. If I gently hang her by the legs she will probably become very upset and may hurt herself further. When you gently bend the leg towards her body it definately clicks. Oh bum , why do things go wrong and why is it only me who can make the right choice. My OH keeps out of it. Ill let u know what happens.  :shock:

xx
Injured leg

Started by Pencrugmawr on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 15, 2012, 09:10
by joyfull
xx
injured hen

Started by bimbler on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 21, 2008, 10:46
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
MY INJURED HEN

Started by JMF on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 15:22
by kegs
clip
Has she injured herself?

Started by TashaH on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 21, 2016, 17:49
by TashaH

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 35 queries.