Poultry Auction at Hexham Mart

• 35 Replies

Goldfinger

Poultry Auction at Hexham Mart
« on: April 06, 2012, 11:02 »
I see there's another poultry auction at Hexham mart next week (14th April 2012).

Has anyone been to one before, what are they like?

I'm after two chooks, but hope I don't end up bidding for a whole flock!  :ohmy:  ::)

Any pointers you's can give me? I don't want to be taken for a ride by other bidders and pay over the odds.  :tongue2:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 14:07 by mumofstig »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Puoltry Auction at Hexham Mart
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:27 »
Not been to an auction Goldfinger.

I would think you would be better buying from local breeders so that you can see the parent stock and living conditions.  What breeds are you after? 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Puoltry Auction at Hexham Mart
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 12:34 »
I agree, you have to be so careful when going to an auction. I have known so many come a cropper after buying - cockerels, sick hens, wrong ages etc.
If you still want to try one then take somebody with you who also knows about poultry. Get there early so you can have a good look at the birds, check eyes, legs, stance, listen to breathing etc. If you can find out who is selling the birds you are after have a good chat with them - if necessary get their details and buy from them direct from their place. Not everybody there is a crook but it really is a case of buyer beware.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Goldfinger

Re: Poultry Auction at Hexham Mart
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 15:42 »

We'd love a pair of Marans or welsummers, mainly because the kids don't belive different chickens can lay different coloured eggs!  :lol:

But, there's no-one anywhere near us that does them. What is listed, sounds like it's been crossed with a cross, with a cross....  :( Get the idea.....?  :mellow:

Does anyone here know someone (near-ish me, we are willing to travel a bit), that does do them.

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 17:04 »
I have recently bought some Welsummer Bantam eggs from a guy near the Nissan Plant.  He may have large fowl or know someone who does.

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 17:28 »
Found these ads on Preloved, it is for cockerels but if you get in touch you might be able to put your name down for hens.

www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/104425722/welsummer-cockerel.html

www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/104983155/4-month-old-cockerels-welsummers-and-maran.html

I think Durham Hens do Welsummers as well.  Good Luck with your search.   ;)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 17:40 by ANHBUC »

Goldfinger

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 20:36 »

Thanks for the link ANHBUC  ;)

The Alnwick link looks promising, but the other one is a 'wanted' ad and it looks like it's for only a cockerel, maybe they just listed it in the wrong place.   :unsure:

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 22:34 »
I read the wanted one and I think it has just been listed wrongly.  If they have cockerels they should have hens.  You might have to be prepared to wait as they are a popular bird. 

I tracked down a local farmer last year who has bred them for years but doesn't normally sell.  He told me that if he has a good hatch he will consider letting some go. His egg quality is really good so he is reluctant to let any go as he is getting the best colour eggs in his 40 years of breeding.  So I am not holding out much hope of getting any off him this year.

splash101

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 17:29 »
I've been to auctions as a spectator.

I can only comment on the ones i have been to but..........

All the "lots" are clearly described by the Auctioneer i.e. cockerals, pullets, laying hens, POL, breeds etc

Some of the more reputable sellers attatch a label to the cage giving more info on any vaccinations, worming, hatch dates etc and even provide their telephone number for any follow up queries

If you are planning on buying, get there early and give the birds you are interested in a good look over, sometimes you wont be able to handle them but you can clearly see them through the cages. Take a good look at the feet and legs, any feather loss, eyes, etc.

There should be someone there in an official capacity (usually someone who is booking the birds in from the sellers), ask them for info on reputable sellers rather then people loitering about as i maybe those people loitering about that are selling them. Someone tried to steer me (and i wasnt even buying) in the direction of some alledged POL birds but they were in a shocking state and i told her so and pointed out why i thought they were in such a state. I think she thought i was a greenhorn and wouldnt know better.

As for the prices, have an idea of what you are prepared to pay. If there is a "lot" that seems a little too cheap to be true, there is probably a reason why.

If you are planning on buying, make sure you have a suitable means of getting them home i.e. a box with ventilation, cage etc.

They also auction hatched chicks etc and they are usually labelled "as hatched" which does mean you dont know the sex.

Having said all that, they are good places to pick up feed, accesories etc at a considerably lower cost to breeders.

Goldfinger

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 10:51 »

I thought there would be some sort of vet on site to check condition of birds etc arriving.

I never thought people would still try and palm off stock that were unfit for sale.  :(

As for what I'm willing to pay, I'm not sure, I hear sometimes you can get a bargain, but other times you can pay over the odds.

I think this time, I'll go as a spectator, and not with the 'I must buy something' attitude.

There'll always be another auction......

splash101

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 14:53 »
Definately go as a spectator for a couple of times, you will soon pick up whats good and not so good.

There are decent reputable sellers but you may get the odd dodgy one.

As for prices, the market may produce a "market report" online and will have the last number of week available, take a look at the market report and you will get an idea of what breeds were sold and for how much

Goldfinger

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 19:29 »

I looked for a market report so I could get an idea of prices, but couldn't find one.  :(

Is there somewhere a 'national' one, maybe online that could give me an idea?

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 09:37 »
Here is one for the Clitheroe Poultry Auction for February

www.auctionmart.co.uk/poultry_sales_auctions.php

Their last Auction was on the 7th April so they won't have the Sale Report ready yet.  Good luck with your research.   :)

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2012, 09:57 »
I go to Clitheroe from time to time.

Generally, I have done reasonably well. I always get there early and have a good look at the lots I'm interested in. As someone has already said, there is an issue over health that tend not to be apparent until a few days later.

That said, I now go working on the assumption that I may pay for and lose up to 30 per cent of the night's purchases!

In fairness, I last visited the auctions in March, bought six birds and lost one two weeks late, which could arguably have been due to care at my end..?

All in all, I'd suggest that if you are willing to take a chance, and possibly be required to give a little extra care to your flock, then the auctions are a good way to find some nice birds at very reasonable prices.

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 11:36 »
There is someone in Durham selling Welsummer eggs if you have an incy you might want to hatch your own.  You get to see how dark the eggs are which will be a bonus.

www.birdtrader.co.uk/hens_eggs_for_sale/advert/275773

xx
poultry auction website

Started by shetan on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 15:48
by joyfull
xx
So we went to the auction...

Started by Thingy on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 13:01
by Thingy
xx
Melton Mowbray fur & feather auction?

Started by grinling on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 21:07
by grinling
xx
Poultry Course

Started by kegs on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 19:20
by kegs

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 39 queries.