How much do you sell your eggs for?

• 48 Replies

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
How much do you sell your eggs for?
« on: May 24, 2013, 10:04 »
I just wondered, im pretty new to selling eggs. I charge £1 for half a dozen which I reckon is far too cheap. I wondered if anyone has sat down and worked out the cost of feed vs the cost of an egg they sell. We get a bag of layers pellets (20kg) for inbetween £8-9 which lasts 2 weeks and sell our eggs £1 for 6 which works out 15p an egg. So they eat around 50ps worth of feed a day and I get £1 worth of eggs presently which isn't bad but still doesnt pay for ongoing repairs and worming stuff etc etc. So I was thinking about charging more for our eggs but want to remain competitive. So would you regard £1 for 6 eggs as cheap? Or should I push it upto £1.50?

Thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: How much do you sell your eggs for?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 10:47 »
I sell mine to close neighbours for 10p per egg which I know is over cheap but they are good neighbours.  Relatives I give them to but some insist on paying £1 per 6 which is around 17p per egg.  I sell my quail eggs for £1.20 per dozen which includes a plastic quail egg box which costs me around 20p. 

You just need to find out what other sellers in your area charge for the same product.  Have a look for farm signs selling eggs near you.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 11:06 »
I sell my hens eggs for £1 per half dozen which I think is quite reasonable as I am not trying to make a profit.

splash101

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 12:01 »
£0.00 i give mine away   :ohmy:

A while ago i had idiot written on my forehead that only certain people can see. I didnt feel that i could ask them for money as they were our left overs so to speak.
Unfortunately one of the people we were giving them away to felt the need to abuse our generosity so i wont be doing it anymore.
All of the people we have given them to never once offered anything, not even a cabbage or a bag of apples for the chickens, but they were quite happy to ask if i could give them more and more and more for their friends, neighbours, relatives.
My own fault for doing it in the first place.

I have reduced the number of my laying hens and will be having a couple of Silkies and Wyandottes. I'm not expecting many eggs from those as they will probably spend most of their time being broody.

Any excess eggs from now on will be boiled, mashed and given to our aviary birds or i shall freeze them ready for winter.

Free range eggs around these parts are £2.50 - £3.00 per dozen not sure how much for 6.

I sell my excess quail eggs as hatching eggs this time of year at auction and they can fetch anywhere between £1 - £5.00 a dozen. My children share the money as they collect the eggs and help look after them.

I dont think £1.20 for 6 hens eggs is unreasonable but see what others in your area are selling for.

Cant you get your feed any cheaper than that?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:11 by splash101 »

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 12:33 »
I actually used to give mine away but it was the people who I was giving them to who insisted on paying as they said that they did not feel that they could ask for eggs if I would not take the money - an entirely different experience from yours Splash.

pepsi100

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 13:11 »
It depends on how many I have, sometimes its a swap for a cabbage, cauliflower, never been offered apples though

The wife takes them into work, I dont see or know what she gets, but she buys the mash/pellets, she also keeps the squirels and wild birds supplied with food

But I think £1.00-£1-20 is a fair price, but depends on size, and what others are selling theirs at

(for some reason, mine seem to be laying monster eggs, double yolks, been doing it for a long time now)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

wrinkly1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 15:37 »
 ::)i get my eggs from my neighbour . because of the rise in feed he has put his price up to 2£-50p  .hope this helps.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 15:51 »
A pound for six and our feed has gone up in the past year from 6.60 to 9.40  :ohmy:

Once this lot have gone I aint having pets anymore. The kids have been told.

Two rabbits left, one cat and eight chooks.

Spana

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 15:55 »
I have regular customers, 3 OAP's in the village who i sell to every week for £1 doz delivered .  :wub: Some weeks they take 5 doz, others weeks only 3doz.  :) I pick out all large eggs  for them. Think I've charge £1 for the last 4 years :wub: I know  :blush:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 16:14 »
We pay £2.00/dozen from friends which I think is more than reasonable and they occasionally throw in half a dozen duck eggs for nothing. We've just been able to help them out with some cucumber plants, as a gift. :)

When we had our chickens we used to enjoy giving eggs to family and friends from time to time and people would tend to offer money (never accepted) or perhaps a swap of some of their produce that we might not have. It was and I imagine still is, very easy to spot the freeloaders as they would tend to be the ones who'd appear from the background if you were giving eggs and say something like "oh yes eggs, I'll have some of they're going begging..". No chance! :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 16:18 »
Chap from our allotments delivers them to me for £1.70 doz. Mind you I've asked him how come they are all stamped now,he says they have to be. Do you stamp yours? They used to have a 3 UK followed by a farm number  on them that meant they were from caged birds,but his aren't caged. Now they have a 1UK followed by the farm number.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

pepsi100

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 20:38 »
Do eggs that you get from hens and sell on have to be stamped /

Only ones I have ever seen stamped have been from a supermarket, the farm whee I got my eggs from (before mine started laying) never had stamps of anny kind on them

Mum2mj

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 22:01 »
I used to sell at my old work for £1.50 for 6 a few years ago! :blink: I don't have a surplus anymore though

barley

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 22:18 »
I use all mine ....... breakfast , sandwhiches , lunches , tea , baking , boiling , snacking , freezing , etc

I have 8 bantam hens so slightly smaller eggs

is there a thread on here for exchanging eggy receipe ideas ?

pepsi100

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 22:34 »
You can freeze eggs ? never thought of that (we dont have enough to do that though)

xx
How much do you sell your chicken eggs for?

Started by CMFAM on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 11:42
by Missie
xx
Lavender Orpington Cockerel, 6 months old - free to good home or can sell pair

Started by arsenicfairy1 on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2015, 12:25
by Aunt Sally
xx
First Eggs

Started by Chicken_Lover on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2011, 18:23
by ANHBUC
xx
4 Eggs already!!! : )

Started by Dawnuss on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 07:44
by tosca100

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 38 queries.