Rhubarb advice: starting small bare root plants

• 7 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Rhubarb advice: starting small bare root plants
« on: January 29, 2022, 00:19 »
After baking a rhubarb pie for the family, they are hooked.

I had been researching how to try growing rhubarb this far south, in our warm climate. Some suggested that it could be done if you grow the plants in part shade instead of full sun. I have an area where I could try that, so why not?

As luck would have it, just the other day I was in a home improvement store, they had just gotten in some very small bare root plants of Victoria rhubarb. My research indicated that was a variety that was more heat tolerant than most. The bare roots were on the small side, but not too expensive; I looked carefully, found 4 that were not too small, and showing a hint of green or red growth.

The advice I'm looking for: I am wanting to pot them in some 2 gallon nursery pots, with some well-aged, free-draining city compost. They will go into a raised bed when I have that built, the nursery pots are temporary. We are in the coldest part of our year, it could get to -6°C tomorrow night, but I'm assuming that won't be a problem, no protection needed? Is the compost sufficient for now, or should I mix in some Sandy loam? Should I plant the roots with the new growth even with the compost in the pots, or bury them slightly? I'm planning on 3 feet between plants in the raised beds when built.

I'm not expecting to harvest anything for at least 2 years, maybe 3. I think getting a crop will be a challenge, but rewarding if I get there. Any advice would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 03:51 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Rhubarb advice: starting small bare root plants
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 09:49 »
Ooh, good luck!!
It's fairly easy for us, so if you can give it some shade and keep it moist during summer, I'm hopeful!
I can't help more than link to John's advice...
https://www.allotment-garden.org/fruit/rhubarb-growing/

lettice

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 11:50 »
Always thought or have read that some shade for Rhubarb is best.

I grow mine, partly shared by my eight foot or so high Weigela Florida Polka bush that sits a foot away to the right.
It has started poking out already as can be seen in the photo and in a few months will be picking loads of stalks until mid August
Do not really live in a cold area here on the South coast by the sea. It rarely gets below 0 here and only occasional frosts through the winter, the see breeze puts paid to that. We have just had a handful of very slight frosts this Month. Jan and early Feb being our coldest months, when it can drop to 1°C - 6°C in the early morning hours.

Mine in the photo sprouting now (also showing a picking last summer) is my Timperley Early that as I mentioned sits under that bush. I have had it for well over a decade in the same spot.
My Dad up the road from me has a twenty or more years Victoria growing at the entrance to his greenhouse. It starts later, around April and he gets a crop till late August. His area does drop just below zero more frequently than me and they do get plenty of frosts, some can be hard. He has a heavy clay soil, that he has worked well over many years to help the drainage and did so for where he planted his rhubarb all those years ago.

I always put a load of homemade compost around the base first week of Jan and it always seems to like that. Always love to see loads of worms a few days later all over the soil pulling it down to the Rhubarb roots.
Its a good draining 'Victorian house garden' soil I have, so as its always said, good drainage helps rhubarb a lot. Mine never really sits a in any water. Do during the Spring and Summer give it a good drench at least once a week, especially in the drier spells and it seems to gobble it up nicely.

If I remember, I was picking mine after the second year after planting the crown, when it started to really produce well.
Crowns from what I have read can be planted in Autumn and Winter, but do a need a good prepared area and a good watering to settle in.
Notice you are growing in a raised bed. Might be worth, restricting its spread in there so putting in some edges say 18 inches around the crown under the soil, with an open base.

Be a year or so yet, but enjoy when it comes.
Do love Rhubarb and for such a small space produces loads of lovely fruit through the year and of course freezes so easily on its own or in pies/crumble.
Just love grabbing a handful of one inch chopped rhubarb from a tub in the freezer to mix with a few spoonful's of yogurt.

rhubarb growing.jpg

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 14:50 »
Keep it well watered and shaded when the weather is hot.

I’m sure you’ll have success  :D

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 09:59 »
That can't be stated enough - A quick search will show how many crowns I've killed over the years trying to grow them in the sandpit I have here. Last year I left a leaking hose joint around the base of a crown, whilst it still produced more flowers than stems I managed a couple of harvests.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 21:37 »
That can't be stated enough - A quick search will show how many crowns I've killed over the years trying to grow them in the sandpit I have here. Last year I left a leaking hose joint around the base of a crown, whilst it still produced more flowers than stems I managed a couple of harvests.

Thanks for that advice.  Today I potted them up in 2 gallon nursery pots.  For the soil I started with 2 parts sand, 3 parts coarse sandy loam, and mixed that well, to get a loamy sand texture.
Then I added 8 parts well rotted municipal compost and mixed it thoroughly again. The result retains water pretty well. The pots are sitting together, with mesh over the top to keep squirrels out.  My goal is to have just the rhubarb in it's own raised bed after the growth gets going, but before the weather heats up.

Lardy, for your situation, have you considered hauling in at least some clay for your soil? Mixed in well, it might fix your excess drainage. The trick would be to not overdo it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 21:39 by Subversive_plot »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 22:59 »
The trick would be to not overdo it.

Indeed… the soil must be water retentive but free draining. 

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 22:16 »
I posted about these rhubarb plants on my diary page (April 18), including a photo:  https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=134417.msg1568756#msg1568756

The largest plant is now 28 inches across  :lol:

xx
Bare root plants just arrived! What do I do?

Started by Dimblebee on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 02, 2021, 21:16
by Dimblebee
xx
Bare root strawberry plants

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 06, 2018, 10:51
by DD.
xx
failing bare root strawberry plants

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 00:15
by kermit
xx
Just received 25x bare root raspberry plants - what now ?

Started by mark.carline on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 13:37
by tode

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 45 queries.