Composting with Manure

• 1 Replies

Rick the rookie

Composting with Manure
« on: December 31, 2011, 10:54 »
Just a thought after having a good look around my newly aquired plot i noticed the compost area that was built in pallet form had a mountain of material that had dumped into it from this years veg without being chopped up etc.
There is also a pile of horse manure of about a ton and a half that is this years and straw free and wondered if i emptied the compost heap and refilled after chopping all the material up and layered it six inches green material and  six inches horse manure if it would work well ?

I would appreciate your input and ideas on this.

I need to liven up the raised beds in the polytunnel and thought of using mushroom compost as i have been quoted  £145:00 for 3 tonnes delivered.
Would it better just laid on top and left or should i dig it in?
If it's not broke then leave it alone

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Composting with Manure
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 11:30 »
Mushroom compost is fairly alkaline - check your soil pH first, and what do you plan to grow in the raised beds?

I'd probably try to mix it up a little.  Is it just compost in the beds or is there topsoil in there too?

As for the horse manure, yes you can add it to the compost heap if you want, but if the manure is well rotted then I'd probably use it on the plot and let the compost rot down on its own behalf.  The compost is unlikely to rot much further over the winter owing to low temperatures, and you run the risk of not being able to use the manure until next year if it's mixed in with unrotted compost in spring.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
composting chicken manure

Started by rocker on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2012, 10:36
by rocker
xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 35 queries.