Fact or Fiction?

• 4 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Fact or Fiction?
« on: November 16, 2012, 15:22 »
We have a few mature beech trees. From their girth, I estimate them as being 150 years-old. Two of them have started to produce more and more beech-mast. In fact now that the leaves have fallen, the branches look laden with the nuts.

My elderly neighbour tells me that this is a sign that they are coming to the end of their life. Is this a rural myth?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Fact or Fiction?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 15:31 »
It could just be part of the 4 to 6 year cycle where they produce more mast than in other years.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 15:43 »
I couldn't find anything to support that theory about coming to the end of it's life.

As Argula says, it could just be a normal cycle. Or, it could be a natural fact during years of stress. Beeches don't like city life because of the excess of carbon dioxide. Nor can they deal with dryness deep down in their roots. Most trees and plants when stressed will overproduce their fruit in case conditions worsen in future.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 16:53 »
We live a few miles outside of the city and we've had two wet summers on the trot so I doubt it's stress causing it. Probably just a normal cycle then, eh?

savbo

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 17:12 »
I've never heard this one and i am sort-of a Tree Guy. There are 'mast years' when the beech produce plenty of nuts that are full, rather than being thin and lacking in substance...I recall that these are thought to be produced by patterns of weather over 2 or 3 years...

sav

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 35 queries.