hi

• 12 Replies

hopeless

hi
« on: July 29, 2011, 19:47 »
Hi I'm a newbie to the site and also to the growing of vegetables.........got myself a polytunnel this year, and got caulis, cabbage, sprouts, brocolli in there... the problem I am finding is the leaves are now all starting to look as if they are burning???? I do all my watering at night aswell, any ideas as to what the problem might be???? or am I just being overprotective of my veggies lol

LilacSandy

Re: hi
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 20:25 »
With the weather that we have had it could not be the heat, have you tried running your fingers down the leaves to see if there are any pests on them?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 21:29 »
hi hopeless and welcome to the Forum.

Could you alter your profile (click on your user name) so that we know where you are gardening :)

Unless you are growing somewhere very cold, then the brassicas you mention do not like to be grown in the warmth of the polytunnel, they are outside, hardy plants. it may just be too warm for them in there.

hopeless

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 16:52 »
Thanks for the help on my problems with my veggies........so what would you recommend for the polytunnel??????? thought we were doing the right thing with putting them in there, but now it sounds not lol.....so next year then they will be outside then!!!!!! tried to uodate my profile as best as I could, not that good on the puters lol....

hopeless

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 16:53 »
Also forgot to add, got no brussels appearing on my plants?????

LilacSandy

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 17:16 »
Tomatoes, Peppers, Melons, cucumbers for summer, for winter you can put in winter lettuce and a late crop of carrotts

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 17:24 »
Also forgot to add, got no brussels appearing on my plants?????

It's rather early to expect to see brussels developing, any that do so now have a tendancy to "blow".

I'm sorry to say that the heat in your polytunnel is going accentuate this situation.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

hopeless

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 19:42 »
Well thanks for your help guys, you can tell im new at all this.......maybe better luck next time lol..... so does that mean that all that I've planted in there will come up early? or will it all just die off cos its too hot in there, did wonder bout leaving it open all night but surrounded by rabbits and munkjaks!!!!!!! could I put winter potatoes in there?????
Mind you can always put the chickens in there I suppose lol
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 19:57 by hopeless »

LilacSandy

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 20:45 »
It will be just right for your Winter tatties.

hopeless

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 20:54 »
It will be just right for your Winter tatties.

Feel really silly now, just been done to water them and they all look abit sorry for themselves now.....wondering now to take the roof off and put netting up all the way round it now?? not sure what else to do!!!!!!??

LilacSandy

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 10:35 »
If I were you I would leave it as it is, you will have a lot of work taking down the cover and then having to put it back on after your veg are harvested which could be late in the winter, when this is the time your tunnel will come into its own for starting off tender crops. 
Put in your autumn potatoes and perhaps a late crop of carrotts and start planning for your great early crop such as strawberries and salad crops and then for tender crops such as tomatoes, peppers, melons cucumbers which all benifit from protection.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 12:33 »
I'd try to fix some netting/chicken wire over the open doorway to keep the beasties out but let some nice fresh air in, if you want the plants to have any chance at all.

hopeless

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 21:24 »
I'd try to fix some netting/chicken wire over the open doorway to keep the beasties out but let some nice fresh air in, if you want the plants to have any chance at all.

We put netting up over the door all day till late at night, and now I have opened all the windows now so they get air all the time, well will have to wait and see what happens to this lot, hope the are not too ruined.....

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 21:31 by mumofstig »

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 40 queries.