Are these the tomatoes I have been waiting for??

• 22 Replies

Ivor Backache

Are these the tomatoes I have been waiting for??
« on: April 29, 2014, 20:34 »
  I have been growing tomatoes longer than I can remember. Each year I try and grow the 'earliest' and I usually eat one in June. This year I am growing Sub Artic early. Apparently they have been bred for growing in Greenland, so they should do alright in N Wales.
  Sown in early February and kept in the conservatory, I did lose more than half to a wilt type disease but now I have 3 strong plants.  These plants are just over 2' tall and between them there are 16 flower trusses. Some are in flower and setting, others are small buds. I have never seen so many flowers, normally I only get 5 trusses on a plant towards the end of the growing season. Some of the flowers are very close together.
  I have grown them as indeterminate plants until I noticed that all the main stem divided themselves into 2 stems . When I checked on the variety I found that they are a determinate plant, which would explain the stems dividing. I have now stopped one of the stems on each plant and continue to grow as indeterminate.
  I could have 20 trusses on 3 plants about 3' tall which for me is a big plus when growing indoors. But at the end of the day it is all down to taste. They are expected to crop in 60 days (which I assume is from planting out) so early June is for tasting.
  Anyone have any experience of this variety, especially concerning taste.?

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
Re: Are these the tomatoes I have been waiting for??
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 20:44 »
I've not heard of them, but would love to hear an update once you've tasted and also how well they do throughout the season.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 20:48 »
I grew these two seasons ago, and yes, they did give an early crop. Your plants sound fantastic  :D

They were not the most tasty tomato ever, but certainly better than the woolly supermarket ones.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 22:13 »
They were not the most tasty tomato ever, but certainly better than the woolly supermarket ones.

You can say that again.. I tried them but was very disappointed with the taste. You might also want to track down some glacier seeds they were slightly earlier for me but again sadly lacking in my opinion when it came to taste.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 22:24 »

You can say that again.. I tried them but was very disappointed with the taste. You might also want to track down some glacier seeds they were slightly earlier for me but again sadly lacking in my opinion when it came to taste.

Ditto - I grew them last year and found them tasteless..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Headgardener22

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 22:37 »
I grew them two year in succession. Neither time were they the earliest that I grew, nor the tastiest.

Blooody Butcher are always the first to ripen in my garden. I have to mis-spell it otherwise it changes it to Blooming.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 22:38 by Headgardener22 »

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 22:46 »
I agree with all the comments about sub arctic. I'd rather wait a couple of weeks and have tomatoes that actually taste of something.

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 06:04 »
I gave them 3 seasons to prove themselves. And I am totally done with them now.

They never were the first and the taste is meh.

You are better off with a variety like Stupice. It was always faster than subarctic for me (I grow tomatoes in Finland: outside and in the greenhouse) and they taste a lot better.

Personal favourite of last year that ripened quickly was Anna Russian.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 06:06 by spuriousmonkey »

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 06:46 »
I grew them two year in succession. Neither time were they the earliest that I grew, nor the tastiest.

Blooody Butcher are always the first to ripen in my garden. I have to mis-spell it otherwise it changes it to Blooming.

I think Aunty would like Blooming better or you may just be off to the nortu step  :lol:

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 08:05 »
*adds Stupice to next years seed list*

Headgardener22

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 08:36 »

I think Aunty would like Blooming better or you may just be off to the nortu step  :lol:

Aunty may like it, but that doesn't mean you can change a plants name. Blooming describes flowers, blooody describes a colour. Please don't weaken the English language for the sake of PC.  >:(

Nobbie

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 08:58 »

That's intetesting, I grow sungold to ripen early, but my dad gave me a Bloody Butcher plant, so I'll see which wins the race :D

Ivor Backache

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 13:52 »
Thank you very much for all your replies.  Clearly the answer to my question is NO. never mind-nothing ventures nothing gained as they say.
My main crop tomatoes are progressing well. I always try two new varieties each year. This year it is Stupice and Ferline. Strangely the Stupice are way behind all the others and are only half the height.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 17:55 »
I have now had the chance to answer my own question. One tomato turned red last week but I left it on the vine for a week to fully ripen. The taste is not bad. Far better than any supermarket one but not the tastiest.

The 3 plants have an average of 4 trusses. There are a few large green tomatoes but I have noticed that some of the smaller ones are turning red first. Despite watering and feeding I get the impression that the crop may not get much bigger. The jury is still out. :unsure:

AnneB

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 18:14 »
I have grown Stupice and it is a very nice tasting tomato, but not super early for me, but I did grow them outside.   This year I am trying Latah, which is supposed to be very early, again outside.  It is a bush variety.  It has flowers on it now, but so does my Maskotka.   Don't know about taste yet obviously.

xx
Anyone else going mad with waiting?

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 03, 2024, 15:56
by Learnerlady
xx
still waiting for PSB...

Started by tangojulie on Grow Your Own

93 Replies
Last post June 14, 2015, 16:29
by Blackpool rocket
xx
Waiting .....

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 13:10
by Lady Lottie
xx
waiting for winter to do one !

Started by the goodlife on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 25, 2013, 10:57
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 39 queries.