Ripening sweet peppers

• 19 Replies

Growster...

Re: Ripening sweet peppers
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2021, 07:39 »
I used a green 'Cayenne' pepper yesterday, and the flavour was just a mild version but really nice!

The 'Apache' sets your mouth alight...

MarkC

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2021, 12:39 »
Think it depends where you are in the country. Unusually, in SW Scotland my tomatoes and peppers ripened before my sister's in Berkshire.....appears to have been down to a dull and relatively cool August and early September down there, and an unusually warm and sunny period up here.

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2021, 13:43 »
Think it depends where you are in the country. Unusually, in SW Scotland my tomatoes and peppers ripened before my sister's in Berkshire.....appears to have been down to a dull and relatively cool August and early September down there, and an unusually warm and sunny period up here.

I was told by a professional tomato grower, that the fruits need much more light than warmth when they're really getting going, so you're in a great place to achieve this!

snowdrops

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2021, 13:14 »
I read a n the National Veg grower magazine just the other day to feed with potash to help ripen sweet peppers & also to put a fork under them to loosen the soil. I’ve yet to try it on my last plant that has a huge green pepper on it, I’m also going to try overwintering some as they were such productive plants in the tunnel this year & huge fruits.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2021, 07:23 »
I read a n the National Veg grower magazine just the other day to feed with potash to help ripen sweet peppers & also to put a fork under them to loosen the soil. I’ve yet to try it on my last plant that has a huge green pepper on it, I’m also going to try overwintering some as they were such productive plants in the tunnel this year & huge fruits.

Mrs Growster used to overwinter chillis, and the following year were quite OK, although because they were inside in a sunny bedroom on a window sill, they got a bit soft and leggy!

Good idea, Snows, I might leave the 'Apache' in a frost-free GH this winter, and maybe a couple of others!

xx
Sweet peppers almost red/yellow how to hasten ripening

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 25, 2011, 20:22
by lottielearner
xx
Peppers ripening when still small

Started by isis on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 14:29
by oldcow
xx
Ripening Bullhorn peppers problem.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 24, 2018, 12:46
by Goosegirl
xx
Sweet peppers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 00:34
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 42 queries.