? re cutting lower leaves off tomato plants

• 3 Replies

4th season allot

? re cutting lower leaves off tomato plants
« on: June 10, 2020, 16:51 »
I have grow tomatoes for a long time and not usually cut lower leaves off my plants, a friend has recently took over a plot elsewhere and has been advised to cut lower leaves off. Can any one advise the advantage of this recall hearing years ago it was to allow the sun to heat the soil but not sure why.
My own tomato plants lower leaves are looking a bit sorry for them selves so toying with removing some of them.
Doug

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: ? re cutting lower leaves off tomato plants
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 17:05 »
Don't remove any leaves until you have ripening fruit, and then only leaves below the lowest ripening truss.
Much too early to do it yet, I would think.

jezza

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 17:58 »
Hello if you decide to cut any leaves off the tomatoes make sure you have a good disinfectant to clean knife/secateurs  between each plant as disease is easily spread from plant to plant as we found out in 1996 when we lost 40.000 plants to an internal stem rot its quicker to snap the leaves off   jezza

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 10:28 »
I plant out my tomatoes deeper than they were in the original pots to encourage more root development, which does mean the lowest leaves are touching the soil and are prone to die off and rot, so I remove them to avoid potential problems with botrytis.

Apart from that, I do what Mum suggests, although I sometimes remove leaves jammed up against the greenhouse glass because they tend to trap moisture - another potential health issue to be avoided if possible, although obviously not applicable to toms grown outdoors.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

clip
Lower Tomato Leaves Changing Colour

Started by qualitynotquantity on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 31, 2014, 11:23
by 8doubles
xx
tomato plants leaves!

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2012, 19:15
by Robin Redbreast
xx
Yellowing leaves on tomato plants

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 19, 2018, 22:36
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
yellow tomato plants (leaves)

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2009, 19:06
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 44 queries.