aminopyralid ???

• 6 Replies

arh

aminopyralid ???
« on: November 02, 2016, 14:06 »
Hi, I am new to this forum, I am just returning a long time "concrete" paved patio area into a vegetable plot, and just read up on the "aminopyralid problem, being new to this area I am struggling to obtain manure, so will take what I can get, but my question is, "is this problem still with us". The last post that I found was in 2011. Thank you for any replies, arh.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: aminopyralid ???
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 16:58 »
Hi ARH, and welcome to the forums.  ;)

The situation regarding aminopyralid is less of a problem now than it was 6 or 7 years ago, but the risks are still apparently there as the product was only withdrawn as a temporary measure.

Can't do more than point you to this article on the RHS website which explains the current situation, and what you should do to try to make sure any manure you source is 'clean'.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

arh

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 08:03 »
Thank you JayG for the reply, I have read that article, but thought I might ask if anyone had more info on the subject, again, thank you.arh.

savbo2

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 18:39 »
sorry this is a bit late, I've been away from the forum for a month or so. I thought the problem had gone, but this year a Twitter contact posted pics of his toms that were badly twisted, and it looked very much like aminopyralid. He had used manure in his compost mix. I guess some farmers have stocks of this kind of stuff...apparently an Irish farmer recently handed enough cyanide to wipe out a town in a chemical amnesty!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 19:06 »
I guess some farmers have stocks of this kind of stuff...

The product was relicensed, so perfectly legal for farmers to use - part of the relicensing meant adding the requirement  to ensure that they don't pass manure on to allotments.

http://www.manurematters.co.uk/aminopyralid.htm
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 19:08 by mumofstig »

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 19:59 »
You can check your manure with what is known as the three bean test. Beans are very susceptible to any kind of weed killer.
Mix some of your manure 50;50 with potting compost and plant any three bean seeds in it. Water as per usual and if the bean seeds germinate and survive one week then it should be clear.

arh

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 08:03 »
Thank you for that advice goneterseed, bit late for the load which went on in october, but will test the next lot from the same supplier. Thanks again. arh

clip
Aminopyralid?

Started by Small Potatoes on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 24, 2019, 14:34
by jambop
xx
Is Aminopyralid going to be relicensed?

Started by glallotments on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post November 18, 2009, 09:36
by zazen999
xx
Aminopyralid in my tomatoes????

Started by oldcow on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 24, 2014, 09:11
by Lesleyk
clip
Aminopyralid damage?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2021, 17:44
by wighty

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 37 queries.