Poundland Fruit Plants

• 18 Replies

Casey76

Re: Poundland Fruit Plants
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 14:15 »
Can I just say how jealous I am of your cheap fruit canes...?

Apart from Lidl which occasionally has dodgy looking plants in, you have to buy fruit canes from a GC, and they charge upwards of 6€ for a single cane (in a 2L pot)!

3759allen

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 17:33 »
personally going to stay away from the poundland fruit tree's.

the way i look at it is that a tree/plant from a more reputable source will be a lot bigger, more advanced, stronger and you will know what variety.

if you pay even up to a tenner more per plant but you get a harvest a year or two quicker and of greater quantity then that tenner will be re paid pretty quick and you'll have a nice healthy tree / plant for the future.

if you go down the pound route and nurse the plant into survival there will be a delay in harvest and a weaker plant by the end of it. this is prob the best case, if you nurse it all year and it flops thats a season wasted and your back to stage one.

as a lot of fruit takes so long to mature and we never know what's round the corner (thinking along the lines of moving house and garden or allotment being closed) it's a bit of a risk with fruit and the quicker to harvest the better imo.

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 19:41 »
I've bought a pound land Tayberry on a whim, it's in the greenhouse just about to bring out it's first leaf. I don't think I would plan my crop using the pound land shops but just for a bit of ago there's only fun to be had
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

Totty

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 19:48 »
As with anything else, you get what you pay for. If your not fussed about the longevity, health or variety of fruit plant, then poundland may be the place to go. If you do however, care about the end product, then go to a local nursery and get top quality plants for a bit more money. These local nurserys must take a hammering due to places like poundland and B+M selling junk at rock bottom prices.

Totty

xx
Poundland plants

Started by jaydig on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 07, 2014, 16:19
by mumofstig
xx
Soft fruit plants that fruit in the same year?

Started by karooba007 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 04, 2009, 16:57
by Goosegirl
xx
Potato plants from the top fruit

Started by Kathogur on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 23, 2017, 19:48
by Kathogur
xx
Fruit on my potatoe plants.

Started by Elling on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 12:34
by Elling

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 37 queries.