Allotment Associations - help

• 14 Replies

Arls0308

« on: April 25, 2008, 09:26 »
Hi,

Just the background first...
I just got an over-run plot and have gradually been clearing it off an digging etc. A kind friend of a friend offered to take down, deliver and erect a greenhouse for us on our plot. Everything fell a bit behind and we managed to get everything but the glass in on the evening and the gent offered to come back the next day and finish it off. A week later and no movement, I thought he'd been busy, no worries, but my friend informed me last night that the guy had gone the next day only to have a woman run over to him and tell him that greenhouses are only allowed at the top of the plot and we'd have to move it, so it's stood for a week as he needs a hand to lift and carry it back to the top.

Now, I've checked my contract and there is nothing in it to say where I HAVE to have my greenhouse, or any form of shed etc. so I'm presuming it's the allotment association that have brought this 'rule' in. I really don't want to get on the wrong side of them, or anyone, but I can't see why I have to have it at the top, which is much more uneven ground and right prime for vandalism.

So the question is do I have to do what the association say? If there is a valid reason then I have no problem moving it, but if it's just because all the others are, I don't think I should. There are loads of decrepit, bramble-filled dangerous greenhouses that they should concentrate their efforts on. Is it just a power thing?

Sorry this has been a bit of a rant, but it just seems stupid to pick this out when the plots either side of me are overgrown and other plots have dangerous looking buildings on them.

Cheers,
Arls
Arls (Allotmenteer since March 08!)

"Earth is here so kind, that just tickle her with a hoe and she laughs with a harvest." Douglas William Jerrold

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

gobs

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 09:52 »
That's the valid reason, that all the others are, I'm afraid. :lol:  :lol:

The council doesn't want sites look or become a 'ramshackle' - to quote ours - of random building structures, this seems a part of it.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 11:17 »
Hi Arls.....

I can't believe they have a rule like that... how petty!

I would speak to someone in the know and put your case to them ie uneven ground & vadalism.

Blimey, they'll be telling you where to plant your veg, how long the rows should be and which direction to have them facing next!

Good luck!
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

izzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 11:26 »
I've always found that talking to the top man is the best way.Don't go on gossip or other peoples takeon the rules. Get it from the horses mouth then you can put your case.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 11:31 »
I'd leave it where it is. If they want it move, let em move it  :twisted:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 12:13 »
Don't just accept somebody's word for it - you need to see the written rules. Now, here's the fun bit - if something is in the rules but not generally applied then you have a reason to argue. Why are you being singled out when X & Y are in contravention?

Good luck.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Arls0308

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 14:41 »
Hi there,

Thanks for all your advice. I called the Local Council and spoke to a guy there. I do have to move my greenhouse to the top of my plot! Apparently there alongside my tenancy agreement there are also more regulations for buildings, which are, in Hull's case, greenhouse's at the top of the lottie (2m away from the road, 3ft from the side path and sideways on) and shed's go at the back, (again 2m away from the plot behind you and 3ft away from the path). Not quite sure what's going going on with the mix of Imperial and Metric measurments, but at least I know - although it would have been nice to have a copy of the seperate building regulations with my tenancy agreement!

Once again, thanks for your comments, looks like I'll have some 'un-glazing' to do this weekend and try and find some light-footed strong men to lift the greenhouse back to the top whist minding my dug out beds!

Cheers,
Arls

Dominic

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 15:22 »
Personaly, I'd be tempted to wait for a written demand that you move it, it would depend on how supportive your plot locals are though

Annoying petty beuracrats is a bit different than annoying the people spraying weed killer and rat poison next to your food.

But to be fair, I'm 9 months into my guerilla war with the TV lisencing authority because they wanted to come round and check when I (truthfully) said I dont have a telly, so I might not be the best person to advise here
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Arls0308

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 15:32 »
Hi Dominic,

I can empathise with you and TV Licensing - my brother's not had a TV for years and he's in constant battle with them. I do have a TV, but understand people who don't want one, but it's insulting that no matter what you say, you're never believed - it's like they can't understand how people can live without one!

I'm going to shift the greenhouse before it settles in, but annoying that I'll have to spend the weekend (weather permitting) digging to level the land it'll be going on rather than getting some new beds dug *sigh*

Cheers,
Arlene

nwalch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 20:31 »
Quote from: "Arls0308"
Hi Dominic,

I can empathise with you and TV Licensing - my brother's not had a TV for years and he's in constant battle with them. I do have a TV, but understand people who don't want one, but it's insulting that no matter what you say, you're never believed - it's like they can't understand how people can live without one!

I'm going to shift the greenhouse before it settles in, but annoying that I'll have to spend the weekend (weather permitting) digging to level the land it'll be going on rather than getting some new beds dug *sigh*

Cheers,
Arlene

Tell the council you are happy for it to be moved but as they didnt inform you of these rules when you took the plot on you expect them to contribute come labour towards moving it and you want them to level the ground where it must go.
Are you looking for an allotment (full or to share) in South East Sheffield. PM me for details.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 23:05 »
Quote from: "nwalch"

Tell the council you are happy for it to be moved but as they didnt inform you of these rules when you took the plot on you expect them to contribute come labour towards moving it and you want them to level the ground where it must go.

Watch out for flying pigs!!

On some allotments in the past plotholders could be fined for being on the site on Sunday after 9am when they should be praying.

And for having a weedy plot.  :thumbdown:

izzy

• Experienced Member
problem
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 08:23 »
Where is the problem in asking first.No time would have been wasted if the right people had been informed in the first place.We do rent these bits of land.We don't own them. :cry:

nwalch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 22:22 »
Quote from: "john"
Quote from: "nwalch"

Watch out for flying pigs!!

On some allotments in the past plotholders could be fined for being on the site on Sunday after 9am when they should be praying.

And for having a weedy plot.  :thumbdown:

Its was meant very tongue in cheek. Worth it just to see the council's responce.

nwalch

• Experienced Member
Re: problem
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 22:23 »
Quote from: "izzy"
Where is the problem in asking first.No time would have been wasted if the right people had been informed in the first place.We do rent these bits of land.We don't own them. :cry:

Or if the council had provided all the information up front.

diggerjoe

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 16:10 »
After dismantling an old shed at home and renovating it I took it to the lottie and was told i had to ask the committee for planning permission :shock:  :shock: Rules are sheds no more than 6 x 6 and 3ft from the main path and pathways between plots - as the mix of sheds include one with a veranda complete with balustrade one brick built!!!!! i can't see how thay can refuse my 6 x 2' 6" little shed - i've painted it dark in the hope it will blend in and no one will notice it :lol:  :lol: - rules bit like weeds far too many of them

xx
allotment associations?

Started by lucywil on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 17:45
by aelf
xx
Cat repellant for allotment associations(maybe)

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post June 23, 2011, 23:46
by John
xx
Associations & seeds

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 02, 2008, 20:26
by Mrs Soup
xx
new to allotment(ing)

Started by bothedirtydog on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 18:42
by jazzbyrd

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 35 queries.