watering tip

• 5 Replies

hazie3

watering tip
« on: July 20, 2010, 18:43 »
my grandad told me this tip so it has been around for decades but anyone new to gardening may appreciate it.
keep your empty plastic pop bottles, fill them with water and pop them in the freezer. each morning before i go to work i take them out of the freezer and put them into various  hanging baskets, tubs and tomatoes - upside down of course. as the day goes on, they defrost and trickle the water to your plants. the soil never dries out. the next morning i gather in the empties ansd start again.  i do about 25 bottles of various sizes, and yes i do have a chest freezer. I love it!

Maryann

• Experienced Member
Re: watering tip
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 18:46 »
What a lovely little tip....I shall be doing that for my tubs and troughs from now on. I didn't do any hanging baskets this year because of the watering problem.

I do have 3 freezers of various sizes but they are always full so this will also encourage me to start using the food in them a lot more frequently as well...........double bonus  :)
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

colleensj

• learning......
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 18:47 »
what a cracking idea  :)
The goal of life is not to arrive at the graveyard in a well preserved body, but instead to skid in sideways, totally worn out yelling "What a ride!".

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 19:53 »
a great idea.. unfortunately my 3 freezers are full of all the food I batch cook to save time when I am working late in the week.. maybe i could use it as an excuse for my 4th???

Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 20:04 »
Excellent idea, thanks for that!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

1jim

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 22:09 »
that really is a great idea, might give that a go

xx
Confused about watering or not watering

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 18:33
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Watering?

Started by leehr68 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 18:54
by David.
xx
Watering

Started by ben/anne on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 13:24
by J_B
xx
Watering

Started by MrsG on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 09, 2020, 17:08
by jambop

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 39 queries.