Outdoor Tomatoes.....

• 8 Replies

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
Outdoor Tomatoes.....
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:15 »
Do people have much success and decent yields?

Any major tips?

I've never had much luck on the allotment. They usually get stripped by the wind....
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Outdoor Tomatoes.....
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 12:19 »
My best tomatoes are grown outdoors, they have a much better flavour than the greenhouse ones.

You have to take blight precautions though.

Whatever you do, don't plant outside too early, or they will sit there and sulk and never recover properly.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

willp

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 13:26 »
I have no greenhouse so mine are always outside. Yield is generally less than  under glass but you can always plant more. They need a bit more nurturing - mine are at present in frames, closed at night and I`ll be hardening them off over the next couple of weeks. When they go from the garden to the plot they`ll spend some time under a polythene cloche overnight too.

Flavour is generally good.

Blight can be a problem - last year was the first time that I did anything more than pick off the odd leaf ( I watch them like a hawk) - with all the rain I used the Bayer disease control spray which kept them safe until harvest.

As the cooler weather draws in, I lay the vines down on mulch and cover again with a cloche to get the last few.

Will

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 13:36 »
Mine usually do well.   Even last year, when I was convinced they were a gonner after finally planting out, they rallied and I had a reasonable crop.   :)

Mags
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

madcat

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 14:09 »
I have given up on outdoor toms at the allotment due to the level of blight blown in from other plots (given up on main crop spuds for the same reason) but they generally do well at the house with a careful eye for any early signs.  Last year was the exception - they just didn't ripen.   :(

I'm not too ambitious in my varieties - no big fat italian beef tomatoes - and I pick ones that tolerate growing outside.  So Roma for cooking, Gardeners delight, sungold, Idli as cherries, Tigerella for sandwitches ....  still havent found the right one for hanging baskets.   :unsure:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Ema

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 14:10 »
Grew 8 plants outside last year in pots was quite happy with them didn't put them out til late

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 14:12 »
I have given up on outdoor toms at the allotment due to the level of blight blown in from other plots (given up on main crop spuds for the same reason) but they generally do well at the house with a careful eye for any early signs.  Last year was the exception - they just didn't ripen.   :(

I'm not too ambitious in my varieties - no big fat italian beef tomatoes - and I pick ones that tolerate growing outside.  So Roma for cooking, Gardeners delight, sungold, Idli as cherries, Tigerella for sandwitches ....  still havent found the right one for hanging baskets.   :unsure:

I grow garten perle or tumbling toms in baskets.

samfan

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 14:28 »
I grew Latah outside last year in Glasgow, they were the best tomatoes I have ever had.  :)

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 15:11 »
I have frequently grown all kinds of tomatoes outdoors successfully even last year and even though I am up north. Its true the flavour and growth are much better. I do however use a trick.

I put up those cheap poly growhouses over them. You can get tall ones sufficient for cordons and smaller ones that are good for plum bush tomatoes. You can fit about three plants in each one and the frames are also useful as supports. You do need to weight down the frames (I use rocks) otherwise strong winds spell disaster.  I roll up the fronts/doors when whether is good and zip up tight in advance of blighty conditions. 

In other words, you get the best of both worlds and the cropping season is longer than toms which are purely out doors

xx
Outdoor Tomatoes

Started by Rocinante on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 15, 2018, 12:27
by mumofstig
xx
Outdoor tomatoes

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 21:38
by Parsnip
xx
outdoor tomatoes

Started by rookie1 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 13:06
by boogaloo
xx
Outdoor tomatoes - still

Started by James on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 07, 2006, 18:14
by ytyynycefn

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 38 queries.