Catch crops between spud rows

• 9 Replies

Ema

Catch crops between spud rows
« on: May 04, 2013, 12:59 »
Has anyone tried sowing a catch crop between their spuds?

I'm quite behind with my spuds and still have some rows to put in - I want to make the most of the soil I have dug!

was thinking salad rocket or radish but open to suggestions?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Catch crops between spud rows
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 13:10 »
Radish and Rocket are both quick to grow of course, but not really an option for those who use the soil between the rows to earth up their spuds.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 14:57 »
Think I will just mulch between my rows with cardboard, shredded paper, grass cuttings or... Something!

I had quite a few weeds pop up between my rows last year so I will put some thing down this year.  The only danger would be slugs, I suppose.
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 00:01 »
Think I will just mulch between my rows with cardboard, shredded paper, grass cuttings or... Something!

I had quite a few weeds pop up between my rows last year so I will put some thing down this year.  The only danger would be slugs, I suppose.

The general idea is to use potatoes to clean the land. Weeds germinate between the rows and then you come along and earth up, thus destroying them. Moving the soil stimulates more weed seeds to germinate and then you come along and earth up some more, thus destroying them. And so it goes on until the haulms are grown up and join across the rows and no more weeds grow.

Once weed seeds have germinated they cannot grow again. It is a matter of getting them to do so when you can easily destroy them.
Back on topic, I can remember seeing people plant brassicas between the rows as the haulms start to die off. I think they were cauliflowers, but I am not sure.

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 06:44 »
I was thinking aloud and perhaps not very clearly there, what I mean is one my spuds are through and growing. You only earth up a few times, then leave them to do their thing.

At that point I may use some sort of mulch between rows.

I could just sharpen the hoe as well I suppose :-)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 07:11 »
You only earth up a few times,

You can earth up as many times as you want. I tend to do it little and often, maybe 5 or 6 times. I find it quite therapeutic destroying those weeds as Salmo says. I keep doing it until I can't get between the rows because of the haulms.  At that point they are doing the job of keeping the weeds down.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 07:27 »
That may be where I went wrong then. I'm only going on my first year growing spuds (2012) where I earthed up once and left then to it. They grew really well but I did get some tall weeds between.  If the foliage will keep them down maybe I should follow your methods and earth up little and often.

Cheers chaps.

Ema

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 16:40 »
Hmmm I have already fully earthed up by a good foot

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 19:16 »
Are you spuds fully laden with foliage yet though?  I ask that as my spuds have not shown above ground yet so don't jump the gun as you'll find that fully foliaged potatoes en masse won't leave much room between them

You could, if you do have gaps, plant squashes which will do their own thing and romp about the place.  Make sure both have some goodly amounts of muck as both are heavy feeders

Ema

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 14:09 »
only a little foliage at the mo but was thinking of something quick like radishes that I can pick by the time they get shaded

xx
Catch Crops

Started by anniel on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 09:55
by compostqueen
xx
Catch Crops

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 18:10
by Stripey_cat
xx
Planting more crops between rows?

Started by davesellars on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 22:56
by Endymion
question
Brussel sprout companions/catch crops?

Started by Dimblebee on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 29, 2020, 00:05
by Dimblebee

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 39 queries.