Dead Rooster

• 11 Replies

mandaboo

Dead Rooster
« on: August 18, 2010, 14:18 »
Hi all,

we saved a rooster from death on sunday as his owner was going to kill him cos he doesn't want him anymore (he wants Turkeys instead!) built him a coop n run and gave him a name. this morning I've gone to feed him and found him halfway up allotment without his head, a fox had burrowed under the coop and got him  :( the question is what do we do with him? If I bury him will he be dug up again and eaten further? I've never had chickens so I don't know what I'm supposed to do with him

Thanks in advance

hillfooter

Re: Dead Rooster
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 14:48 »
Sorry mandaboo they're just no good without  their heads though a lot quieter.   Bury him deep enough that he won't be dug up.  You can incinerate but you need a good incinerator a smal bonfire will just produce a charred roast.

HF
Truth through science.

mandaboo

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 14:54 »
Thanks, we'll give him a burial when OH gets home, I can't do it, the kids are gutted so don't really want them seeing it like it is so i'll get him to put it in something first.

Thanks for your help

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 16:18 »
Thats so sad :(...I actually nearly started crying. Then again I am not in a good place at the moment. My sister got out a video of the chick I culled...I was inconsolable :(

We usually leave them out for the fox. She is struggling at the moment and has 5 cubs. One life to fuel another. Left 50 surplus eggs out for her, which she greatly appreciated.

You can bury him far, far down so he cannot be dug up. Have a small service as it can help the children.

Run Free Cockerel xxxxx
When the wolf lays with the lamb, I fear for us all

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 17:17 »
Seriously though you are legally allowed to bury your pets in your own back garden and generally there's no law against burial on private land provided the animal didn't die from some notifiable disease.  However you are advised not to bury an animal within 10mtrs of a water course or standing water.  I think subject to any bylaws and contrary to many peoples opinions, including councils, that also applies to your family too!  This doesn't apply to horses though.  :(

I believe there was a recent case of a woman who used a digger to bury her pet greyhound on shared private land behind her house much to the consternation of her appalled neighbours who petioned the council to no effect.  Caused a bit of a stink at the time!
HF
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 17:19 by hillfooter »

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 18:20 »
I bury ours under our apple tree. It is growing very strongly just now. They feed us even when they have died a natural or violent death.

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 19:53 »
Seriously though you are legally allowed to bury your pets in your own back garden and generally there's no law against burial on private land provided the animal didn't die from some notifiable disease.  However you are advised not to bury an animal within 10mtrs of a water course or standing water.  I think subject to any bylaws and contrary to many peoples opinions, including councils, that also applies to your family too!  This doesn't apply to horses though.  :(

I believe there was a recent case of a woman who used a digger to bury her pet greyhound on shared private land behind her house much to the consternation of her appalled neighbours who petioned the council to no effect.  Caused a bit of a stink at the time!
HF

I think there is/was also a size limit on the size of carcass you can bury in your garden, 40kg springs to mind so the MIL is a no-no.

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 22:17 »
I've had three deaths in 2 weeks (long story) - in all cases the carcasses were double bagged, and put out with the rubbish.

Sorry to say it, but I'm just not sentimental about my chickens like I am with my cats.

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 23:09 »
I've had a horrible year this year. 5 deaths :(. I miss them all terribly :(

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 01:54 »

[/quote]

I think there is/was also a size limit on the size of carcass you can bury in your garden, 40kg springs to mind so the MIL is a no-no.
[/quote]

So this doesnt rule out doing it piecemeal does it :unsure:
HF

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 12:48 »
 :D

Ribbit

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 17:00 »
I wish my chook could of gotten a better burial  :(. She ended up being stuffed into a kettle box. The kettle broke the next week xD. though we put a concrete slab over the soil afterwards. A month later i noticed loose soil around the slab (i thought something might be digging at it) I lifted it up and we'd ended up making a new home for a family of toads!
It's like America...But south!

xx
RIP Rooster Cogburn

Started by Helenaj on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post July 22, 2012, 16:20
by Chicken_Lover
xx
Noisy rooster - local news story

Started by Ben_H on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 14:00
by shetan
xx
Dead Chick

Started by Lastcast on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 13:06
by bantam novice
thumbup
Dead sultan hen :-(

Started by muffin2010 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post September 25, 2010, 11:00
by muffin2010

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 39 queries.