newbie allotment plot owner needs some advice

• 8 Replies

mikeashworth

newbie allotment plot owner needs some advice
« on: November 14, 2011, 10:05 »
hi,

I've recently taken on a small allotment plot and have got a number of things in the ground to grow over winter. Onions, garlic, beetroot, lettuces, salad leaves, broad beans, peas.

we've had fairly mild weather recently however i'm certain this wont last. so my question is really around what kind of covering up are they gonna need and when?

do i got for netting, fleece, or build some cloche's (if the latter would i use a netting like material for them)

also for the areas of the allotment i've marked out for growing stuff in spring, should i do anything with them over winter, cover up, cover in manure etc etc

as i say, im quite new to all this, its a journey of discovery so hopefully those out there wiser in allotment matters than i (which is probably most of you) can help.

mike

Goosegirl

Re: newbie allotment plot owner needs some advice
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 15:21 »
Onions and broad beans are ok as long as they are the type for over-wintering, garlic are usually planted before winter, so the same advice. Beetroot, lettuces, salad leaves and peas I wouldn't think will survive (unless you have a polytunnel with a bit of heat), but others on here will advise. Bare soil areas would benefit from a good layer of manure and or compost roughly dug in, so the frosts can break down the soil clods, then you can fork it over in spring. As for fleece etc, it will help depending on the degrees of frost; polythene cloches will help to warm the soil in spring, as will black polythene laid on the ground. Netting is best left for later use in protection from insects.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

crh75

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 17:02 »
Onions - If they are sets, get them in now.  They need no protection except maybe from birds during the first few weeks.  If seeds wait until Jan-Mar.

Garlic - Assumming it is an autumn planting variety plant this month or next.

Beetroot, lettuces, salad leaves - Too late to sow seeds now.

Broad beans Peas - hardy varieties can be sown now, but IMHO you are best off waiting until spring.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 17:56 »
For us to advise with any degree of certainty, we need to know where you are.

Please edit your forum profile to show your general location - just click your username to start the process.  :)

PS Welcome to the site
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mikeashworth

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 13:03 »
hi, thanks for replies.

i'm in coventry (profile updated).

all the veg listed were put in the ground a while ago, and are growing quite well. i chose varities that can be planted in autumn that will grow from autumn over winter and into spring etc.

so from what's been said, looks like some kind of tunnel or cloche will be required.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 13:21 »
only needed for the beetroot and lettuce/salad leaves.
The rest should be fully hardy, but it's always touch and go with the peas & beans, they always depend on the weather, and whether they get eaten by something :unsure:

mikeashworth

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 13:42 »
hiya, so if we get snow, its ok to just leave the snow on the veg that is uncovered until it thaws naturally.

sorry if these are realy dumb questions :-)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 18:06 »
I would try to remove heavy layers of snow from leaves but hardy plants should be OK as mum said.

mikeashworth

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 10:56 »
sorry for only just getting back to forum, been away for a few days. thankyou i shall have a look at buying some sort of cover or maybe making one :-)

xx
New allotment owner, planting spuds - advice needed pls

Started by squirrelpig on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 21:57
by squirrelpig
xx
Reasonably new allotment owner with large plot

Started by Aserota on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 21:59
by Schubunny
xx
Allotment advice for a newbie.

Started by CarlC on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 16:23
by digalotty
xx
hello,newbie allotment advice apple trees

Started by thenunn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 30, 2021, 07:47
by Christine

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 40 queries.