Field Mushrooms now!!

• 12 Replies

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Field Mushrooms now!!
« on: October 21, 2009, 20:05 »
Yesterday picked a whole bucketfull of field mushrooms from my horses field.  recent years there were a few but this year there have been hundereds.  Picked the best I could find and today had themfor breackfast in a muffin with one of our yummy free range eggs!  Cant get better than free.  Make sure you know what you are harvesting though if you go mushrooming.  They should not turn yellow if you cut into them.  Mushroom omolette tomorrow and the rest I will leave to spore for next year.  YUMMY.
mrs.ploppy

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
Re: Field Mushrooms now!!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 21:20 »
I would love to pick some mushrooms as I love them !  but im just to chicken as I dont know what I am picking! just so many different types.  ???

Trina x
Breeder, Judge & Exhibitor of Quality Netherland Dwarf, Hulstlander & Himalayan Rabbits

4x chickens 30x rabbits, 2x dogs, 15x ferrets oh and 2 children and a hubby!!!!!

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 22:17 »
I must admit I only pick to eat field mushrooms as I know where to pick them and know exactly what they look like.  Like you said it could be a mine field and you have to know what you are eating but they are most yummy!

Chappers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 03:54 »
I must admit I only pick to eat field mushrooms as I know where to pick them and know exactly what they look like.  Like you said it could be a mine field and you have to know what you are eating but they are most yummy!

Any chance of a photo  :)

paul
Chappers

27th on the waiting list !!! NOT

Now a 1/3 plot owner :-)

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 19:14 »
Sorry I have not yet sussed the whole photo thing on here yet but if you put in 'identify edible field mushrooms' in to google then some very good sites come up with pics and descriptions come up.  Where I pick mine, they have been picked for years.  Mine are just about over now but the last glut I have will be turned into mushroom soup tomorrow.  YUMMY!

Poolfield2

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 08:48 »
Glad you are still posting it means you recognised them right ::)

gavbriggs

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 11:39 »
what i have found with the whole mushroom scene (mycology) is that the word poinsenous when associated with mushrooms can mean anything from upset tummy to horrible death!!!

it really is a varied world and to be honest very few are deadly!!

most of the fungus you will come accross is unedible for reasons other than bieng 'poisenous'

mostly it is because they just taste dodo or arent worth gathering!

the best tip is to search for a pocket sized book to take with you on forrays. have a look in charity shops and the like!

dont be afraid to pick em, you wont be hurt by looking and identifying em. if you cannot positively identify the mushroom though it is best to discard it!

don't know if i'm allowed to post links but i'll risk it!

http://www.mushrooms.org.uk/  is a helpful resource!!

teflon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 21:17 »
If your looking for a good reference  book,you should consider the River Cottage Mushroom book.I bought a copy a few weeks ago&have been out a few times with it with great success.(I mean i aint dead yet).RRP£12.99 although i got mine from Amazon for about seven quid

Elcie

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 19:16 »
If any of you have any questions for a mushroom expert I have one coming on my radio show on Saturday and I'm looking for things to ask him.  Have a look at the thread in 'Chatting on the plot' for details  :D

Transitvanman

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 14:14 »
For anyone who loves mushrooms but is nervous about picking them and eating them, you will be quite safe if you find puffballs [ :( wish I could find some here!]  They are unmistakeable and are not only completely edible, but in my humble opinion, far superior to ANY field mushroom in taste, texture and quantity [one puffball equals many mushrooms!] But don't pick them if VERY big [like footballs] because they will be old and taste woody. Best when smallish or medium sized - cut them like a steak and fry the slices.
You can 'google' them for a pic of what they look like

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 14:32 »
I remember Hugh FW picking giant puffballs once with his two mates. If I remember they roasted the thing....
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Trikidiki

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 23:11 »
I found some puffballs a few yars ago and tried cooking them. They tasted really earthy. Talking to a chef friend she told me the best way to prepare them was to soak them in milk to remove the earthy taste.

Epona_4

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 17:43 »
oooh we have loads and loads of them on the farm autumn time they are dotted all over the fields and some grow quite big sometimes you think theres white plastic bags all over but its the giant puff balls....might try some when they appear later on in the year!  :D

xx
Field Mushrooms Where are they?

Started by sion01 on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 20:42
by sion01
clip
Parasol mushrooms

Started by agapanthus on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2013, 20:27
by agapanthus
xx
Wild Mushrooms - edible or not?

Started by gavinjconway on Frugal Living

20 Replies
Last post November 16, 2011, 15:00
by ANHBUC
xx
Frugal Living and Wild Mushrooms.

Started by JohnB on Frugal Living

19 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 00:26
by Trillium

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 36 queries.