Half built potting shed

• 3 Replies

Sazzle2012

Half built potting shed
« on: June 04, 2023, 08:44 »
Hi all
Just joined today. I took on an allotment for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It was very overgrown but we have cut back a lot and discovered raised beds, raspberry canes plus some tools in the rotting shed!
We have also inherited this half built potting shed - am not sure what to do with it as DIY isn't my thing
Just looking for suggestions on how to get it completed or what we need to do to finish it.
Thanks!
IMG_20230521_114418.jpg

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Half built potting shed
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 19:26 »
Welcome Sazzle!

To start, I would cut down and remove as much vegetation as you can from around and inside the base of that structure. 

After that, with your vision unobstructed, make an assessment of the strength of the structure.  Is it solid, not wobbly, no insect damage?  Anything that you think would make completing it not worth the time or investment. Also, make an assessment of what you want to do with it if you decide to complete it.  Will it be just a tool/storage/potting shed?  Will it need power of some sort (e.g., lighting, etc.)?  Or do you have more involved plans for it?

If you are not a do-it-yourself type, that inspection step, and the next steps, might require hiring a handyman. I'm not sure if a shed would need to conform to any type of building code, but you might want to ask.  At a minimum, you would want roofing panels and some sort of cladding for the sides.  For roofing and cladding, consider clear corrugated PVC or fiberglass materials that will let in a little light so that you can work.

If proceeding forward sounds like too much of an expense, or too much trouble, I thought of a use for it in it's current condition.  Could it serve as a sort of whimsical grape arbor, or an arbor for Wisteria or other blooming vines?
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 21:51 »
Good reply from Sub there with some excellent suggestions.
Also welcome from me.
If you’re not good with diy & haven’t anyone you could get to take over it. Price up a new or 2nd hand shed if you want one & then get a quote from a handyman of how much it would cost to finish it & base your decision on what you can or want to afford. A shed is a useful structure to have, but what you keep in it or use it for will be up to have safe your allotment site is. You could ask around on site, you never know there might be a friendly fellow allotmenteer who offers to help with it
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 10:13 »
When we moved here just over three years ago we inherited a shed that eventually decided to leak as the roof cladding partly disintegrated and some of the side wood panels were rotting at the ends. We looked at the price of a new one of the same size (HOW MUCH???) and realised the one we had a far sturdier main frame with thicker wood and not that many side panels needed replacing, so our lovely handyman re-clad the roof and all the rotted wood and creosoted it all. I now have a lovely dry shed with new shelving made from the cut-off bits from the side panel wood.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
I've built me shed

Started by 2peasinapod on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 22:19
by 2peasinapod
xx
help with fence panel shed/potting shed

Started by peppa on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 13:30
by poultrygeist
xx
Potting/general shed

Started by hubballi on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post January 21, 2013, 17:42
by surbie100
xx
can I get build a garage with potting shed!

Started by whitehill1 on Design and Construction

0 Replies
Last post January 19, 2016, 12:38
by whitehill1

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 42 queries.